Saturday, March 16, 2024

Authors I've Been Wanting to Read - Someone to Love by Mary Balogh

 
At the beginning of the year I made a list of authors that I've been saying I need to read and commit to reading at least one book by each of the authors in 2024.  Here's my thoughts on one of those books/authors.


Goodreads:  Someone to Love by Mary Balogh

Blurb:  Humphrey Westcott, Earl of Riverdale, has died, leaving behind a fortune that will forever alter the lives of everyone in his family—including the daughter no one knew he had...

Anna Snow grew up in an orphanage in Bath knowing nothing of the family she came from. Now she discovers that the late Earl of Riverdale was her father and that she has inherited his fortune. She is also overjoyed to learn she has siblings. However, they want nothing to do with her or her attempts to share her new wealth. But the new earl’s guardian is interested in Anna…

Avery Archer, Duke of Netherby, keeps others at a distance. Yet something prompts him to aid Anna in her transition from orphan to lady. As London society and her newfound relatives threaten to overwhelm Anna, Avery steps in to rescue her and finds himself vulnerable to feelings and desires he has hidden so well and for so long.

My Thoughts:  This author is a bit different from the others on my list as I have read her books.  She used to be one of my favorite historical romance authors but for whatever reason I got distracted by newer shinier books and stopped picking up books by her.

I didn't love the blurb of this one but thought I would go on and give it a try and I'm so glad I did.  I really ended up loving this one.  Anna is a truly nice person who is suddenly thrown into a world that she is completely unprepared for.  While overwhelmed she still manages to hold on to her own identity and stays true to herself - much to her family's horror when it comes to her wardrobe.  Avery is very different from the typical romance hero.  He's a small man who was bullied as a child for being delicate and frail.  He had to find his own confidence and found an unusual outlet for it.

I liked both the main characters quite a bit and really liked that they stayed true to themselves and really got to know each other.  I'm looking forward to reading more from this series and seeing more of the Westcott family.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)

4 comments:

  1. Romances, whether on tv or in books, are always popular. I enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only read a few books by her and agree she is different

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I so love this whole series - the Westcotts really get up in each others business. They are great on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever read this author but it sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete