Saturday, March 9, 2024

The Secret Adversary - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads:  The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie

Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)
Source:   Purchased

Description: Tommy Beresford and Prudence 'Tuppence' Cowley are young, in love… and flat broke. Just after Great War, there are few jobs available and the couple are desperately short of money. Restless for excitement, they decide to embark on a daring business scheme: Young Adventurers Ltd.—"willing to do anything, go anywhere." Hiring themselves out proves to be a smart move for the couple. In their first assignment for the mysterious Mr. Whittingtont, all Tuppence has to do in their first job is take an all-expense paid trip to Paris and pose as an American named Jane Finn. But with the assignment comes a bribe to keep quiet, a threat to her life, and the disappearance of her new employer. Now their newest job are playing detective.

Where is the real Jane Finn? The mere mention of her name produces a very strange reaction all over London. So strange, in fact, that they decided to find this mysterious missing lady. She has been missing for five years. And neither her body nor the secret documents she was carrying have ever been found. Now post-war England's economic recovery depends on finding her and getting the papers back. But he two young working undercover for the British ministry know only that her name and the only photo of her is in the hands of her rich American cousin. It isn’t long before they find themselves plunged into more danger than they ever could have imagined—a danger that could put an abrupt end to their business… and their lives.

Genre: Mystery - Classic

Why I Picked This Book:  I'm doing the Read Christie 2024 Challenge from Agatha Christie Ltd and this was the first pick.

My Impression: The second book in the Read Christie 2024 Challenge is the first Tommy and Tuppence book.  It's been awhile since I read this book and it was a refreshing surprise full of twists and turns and with lots of fun.  Tommy and Tuppence are both at loose ends when they meet by chance.  The war is over and they are both looking for jobs and trying to make ends meet and doing badly at it.  Right away they are pulled into an adventure at a pace that doesn't let up through the next 200 pages.
Christie has a number of more espionage focused thrillers and this is the first one - and I think the most fun.  Tommy and Tuppence are a fun pair and a good combination.  I thoroughly enjoyed following along with them as they figured out just who Jane Finn and how they're going to save the world and themselves.  
If you're looking for a bit of a lighter read and one with a bit of a different feel then the typical Christie mystery this is one to try.  In general this series is probably her weakest but this one is a lot of fun and there are hints of things to come in Christie's books in the future.  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course!  I always enjoy reading a Christie mystery!

Would I Recommend this Book? Definitely!  While this isn't Christie's strongest it is a lot of fun.

7 comments:

  1. When willl I ever get back to reading classic mysteries? There are so many good books in many genres I still want to get into. Have fun with the classics!

    Harvee at https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/2024/03/sunday-salon-social-influencers-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been many years since I read this book. Tommy and Tuppence were not my favorite protagonists that Christie wrote, but they would suit many people I think. I'd say to people - try it, you might like it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the only Tommy and Tuppence book that I've read but I thought it was a fun one. They make for a cute pair of amateur detectives. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all these Christie mysteries.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good you can reread and enjoy all over again, such British names - Tommy and Tuppence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Secret Adversary is my favorite of the Tommy and Tuppence books, and probably within my top five favorite Agatha Christie novels. It's such fun, and holds up to rereading. I reread it a year or two ago for the Read Christie challenge, but it has been a favorite since I was in my teens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't remember if I read any Tommy and Tuppence books by Agatha Christie. It's been so long. I do think this sounds like a lot of fun either way!

    ReplyDelete