Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Overdue Reviews -The Pleasures of Passion + The Beekeeper's Daughter

 

Goodreads:  The Pleasures of Passion by Sabrina Jeffries

Blurb:  When Niall Lindsey, the Earl of Margrave, is forced to flee after killing a man in a duel, he expects his secret love, Brilliana Trevor, to go with him, or at the very least wait for him. To his shock, she does neither and sends him off with no promise for the future. Seven years and one pardon later, Niall returns to England disillusioned and cynical. And being blackmailed by the government into working with his former love to help catch a counterfeiter connected to her father doesn’t improve his mood any. But as his role as Brilliana’s fake fiancĂ© brings his long-buried feelings to the surface once again, he wonders who is more dangerous—the counterfeiter or the woman rapidly stealing his heart.

Forced to marry another man after Niall was exiled, the now widowed Brilliana wants nothing to do with the reckless rogue who she believes abandoned her to a dreary, loveless life. So having to rely on him to save her father is the last thing she wants, much less trusts him with....But as their scheme strips away the lies and secrets of their shared past, can she let go of the old hurt and put her pride aside? Or will the pleasures of their renewed passion finally enable them both to rediscover love?

My Thoughts:  I have mixed feelings about this book.  I enjoy second chance romances typically and I really liked the way Bri and Niall communicated.  There was some hesitation that made sense but for the most part they were able to talk and listen to each other.  I really liked Bri.  She's been through some really tough times and has come through it all with resilience.  I was not as fond of Niall.  His reasons for getting involved in the duel and for leaving England are honorable and even his loss of faith in Brilliana makes sense.  That said his attitude was a bit too imperious at times and I just never fully connected with him.  As well, I didn't love how fast the physical aspect of their relationship developed and how much it seemed to control Bri especially.  Overall, while I didn't love this one I did enjoy it and will read more from this author in the future though she won't be an auto-buy for me.  My Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)


Goodreads:  The Beekeeper's Daughter by Santa Montefiore

Blurb: Dorset, 1933: Grace Hamblin is growing up on a beautiful rural estate. The only child of the beekeeper, she knows her place and her future - until her father dies unexpectedly and leaves her bereft and alone. Alone, that is, except for the man she loves, whom she knows she can never have.

Massachusetts, 1973: Grace's beautiful, impetuous daughter Trixie Valentine is in love. Jasper is wild and romantic, a singer in a band on the brink of stardom. Then tragedy strikes and he must return to his home in England, promising to come back to Trixie one day, if only she will wait for him…

Weighed down by memories, unaware of the secrets that bind them, both mother and daughter are searching for lost love. To find what they are longing for they must confront the past, and unravel the lies told long ago…

My Thoughts:  This author has a gift for making her settings and characters come to life. I felt like I could see the gardens in Dorset and then coastal Massachusetts and I could see Grace with her bees and Trixie listening to music on the beach.  The story grabbed my attention and kept me pulled in though at times I didn't really like any of the characters.  There are definitely several plotlines involving affairs which is a fingernails on a chalkboard plotline for me but I enjoyed the author's writing style so much that I was able to get past it.  This is an author that I would definitely read more from.  My Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)

3 comments:

  1. Really interesting and thoughtful comments on both books. I've read neither of them and not sure I'd want to, although I have wondered about Santa Montefiore and have read Sabrina Jeffries a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read most of her work and enjoy it. As you said, some more than others but she certainly puts you right in the scenes. Thansk for your nice comment on my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read this author but it sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete