Friday, March 29, 2024

Friday Fives - Five Short Reviews for Books I've Read Recently


I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. This week I'm sharing 5 quick reviews for books I've read recently.


1.  The Soulmate by Sally Hepworth - This was my first Sally Hepworth and it definitely won't be the last!  This was a twisty turny story and I was never quite sure what would be revealed next.  I found both different POVs fascinating and compelling.   I was hooked and couldn't wait to find out just what all had led up to that final moment but I wouldn't necessarily call this a thriller.   The pacing was fast and once I got settled on one theory something would happen to change my mind but I never felt that claustrophobic feeling that really scary thrillers give me.  I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.  My Rating:  Really Liked It (4 Stars)


2.  The Obsession by Nora Roberts -
This is one of Roberts' romantic suspense stand alone titles and one I remember enjoying right after it came out but not much other than that.  This was an intense listen that starts out when Naomi is just 11 years old and discovers her father is a serial killer.  Fast forward to present day where she is a photographer who has focused on keeping the past in the past and not putting down roots - until she finds a house with a view she can't resist and a town where she can't help but want to stay.   Roberts never disappoints with pacing and this one kept me hooked from beginning to end.  I loved all the characters - especially Tag the dog.  The suspense is definitely creepy and I enjoyed the unraveling.  My only wish is that we could have gotten a book about Naomi's brother Mason as I loved his character.  My Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)


3.  Garden of Lies by Amanda Quick -
I always enjoy Quick/Krentz's romantic suspense and this was a fun one with legends and rumors and misdirection.  Slater Rockton has quite the reputation after essentially rising from the dead and surviving on a thought to be deserted island.  Ursula Kern has made a reputation as running one of the best secretarial firms in London with high standards and exceptional results but she's not who exactly who she says she is.  I enjoyed their meeting as well as watching them get more and more involved in the mystery surrounding Ursula's employee's death.  This was a good quick entertaining read. Nothing that will really stick with me but it was lots of fun from beginning to end.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)


4.  Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas -
This is the first book in the Hathaway family series that involves oldest sister Amelia and Cam who is the manager at Jenner's - the club featured in The Devil in Winter.  Cam's heritage is a mix of Romany and Irish which makes him feel like he fits in neither world and he's perpetually restless - that is until he comes into contact with the Hathaways.  The family, to put it nicely, is a mess.  The brother, Leo, has recently inherited a title that is supposed to be cursed, very little money, and a falling down manor house.  Leo is on a path of self-destruction after the loss of his fiancĂ© and things in general are just not going well.  I loved getting to know the family.  The sisters were entertaining, Leo was maddening, and Amelia was frustrating though I heavily sympathized with her.  Cam is an interesting character trying to figure out exactly who he is and what he wants.  The romance wasn't my favorite.  It was very physical attraction forward and Amelia never really seemed to settle on what she wanted.  That said I enjoy Kleypas's books and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the family - and how Leo gets redeemed.   My Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)


5.  Murder in the First Edition by Lauren Elliott -
I read the first two books in this cozy series about a bookstore owner a year or two ago and then never continued.  After picking up the third book I remember why.  The mystery looks interesting.  Addie, the main character, owns a bookstore and inherited a rambling old house from her aunt.  The town, Greybourn Harbor is cute and cozy and has everything that makes for a good cozy series.   The main problem is I really don't like Addie.  She has To Stupid To Live syndrome in spades and never seems to learn.  The mystery was an interesting one and the the reveal was solid but I was so annoyed by Addie's refusal to listen or believe anything anyone else tells her (including the police chief, Mark).  As well, there's one of my least favorite things in a book - the dreaded love triangle.  To be honest both Mark and Simon could do much better than Addie.  My Rating: Not For Me (2 Stars)

8 comments:

  1. I've read one Sally Hepworth and liked her book but none of the other authors. Nice work getting five reviews in here! I am pplayig catch up on my blog now that I started up again.

    Oh, I think you'd like the Beyond That, The Sea book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Obsession and have been dying to read it for awhile because -- the dog!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good idea to do a few reviews at a time in your Friday list. I haven't read any of these books, but a couple look like ones I would like. Have a good weekend! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Soulmate. The other books look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to try Lauren Elliott's series and am sorry to hear it's so disappointing. I can only take so much of a TSTL character. The Nora Roberts' novel sounds really good. I will definitely have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I read your review for the Obsession I couldn't remember if I'd read it but checking on Goodreads I see I have! I gave it 4.5 stars but now I am thinking would be no harm for a reread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the short reviews of books. It helps me quickly know if I want to read a book or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the Hepworth and Roberts books. Looking forward to Nora's new spring release!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete