Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Top Ten Tuesday - Seven Things That Will Make Me Fall in Love with a Book and 3 That Won't


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is a romance freebie so I'm looking at 7 things that will make me fall in love with a book (and 3 things that won't).


1.  Old Things - The old things can be houses, or antiques, or clothes, or books or just about anything but if the history of an item or location is involved I'm usually going to love a book.

2.  Characters that bring out the best in each other - I love relationships between characters where they really prop each other up and bring out the best in each other.   The type of relationship doesn't matter but if I see this aspect of a relationship between characters I get warm fuzzy feelings.

3.  A Bookish Career - I love when a character has a bookish career - be it selling books, checking books out, cataloging books, writing books, or any thing else.  If the character talks about books I'm a happy reader.

4.  A Book with a Storyline I can't Wait to Get Back To - If I'm listening to an audio book and I start coming up with cleaning projects so I can keep listening or if I'm tempted to go hide in a corner with a book for "just one more minute" when I really should be doing other things then I know I'm loving the book.

5.  A Book I Want to Talk About - This happens especially with nonfiction.  If a book really hooks me and I find myself thinking about it when I'm not reading I can't help but talk about it which is a sign I've definitely fallen in love.


6.  A Book That Breaks My Heart but Gives Me Hope - I tend to avoid books that are sad or cover really heavy topics but every once in awhile I pick up a book that makes me cry but I'm smiling by the end and I just know that book will end up on my Keeper Shelf.

7.  Ghosts - This kind of plays in with the first item of old things but I do love a book that involves a good ghost story.  I can't resist a book with a bit of history and a bit of spookiness.

Things That Will Cause Me To Fall Out of Love With a Book:

1.  Adultery - Especially if it's a romance and one of the main characters is involved in a relationship with someone else.  I just can't root for an HEA.

2.  Lack of Communication - Be it mystery or romance or fiction when characters make giant leaps or assumptions and refuse just to talk to each other even though it would make everything so much easier it drives me crazy!

3.  To Stupid to Live Behavior  - I read a mystery recently when the main character broke into the house of a trigger happy family to snoop for no real reason and it took my enjoyment of the book down by at least a star.  All I could do was cringe.  

What will make you fall in love with a book?  Or out of love with a book?

6 comments:

  1. Big yes to characters that are supportive of one another and truly help each other shine. Love that. Miscommunication/lack of communication is my #1 pet peeve in books. If that's mentioned as a trope in the synopsis I won't even pick it up. When a conflict could be solved with a five minute conversation... ugh, I just consider that lazy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list of things that you love about certain books or will make you love a book. Your three dislikes are great and I totally agree with each of them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, yes I hate that lack of communication too, adultery out too and laughing at the too stupid to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES to all the things that make you not like a book! Especially that lack of communication. That drives me crazy. And I also love books with old things, ghosts, and bookish careers. Fun TTT! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list. Oh definitely yes on that "too stupid to live" one. I so agree with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I love old things and ghosts! 👻 And I totally agree with your three turn-offs. 😛

    ReplyDelete