Saturday, February 17, 2024

Library Loves - The Cinderella Murder Review


Goodreads:  The Cinderella Murder (Under Suspicion #2) by Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke

Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)
Source:   Library

Description:  Television producer Laurie Moran is delighted when the pilot for her reality drama, Under Suspicion, is a success. Even more, the program—a cold case series that revisits unsolved crimes by recreating them with those affected—is off to a fantastic start when it helps solve an infamous murder in the very first episode.

Now Laurie has the ideal case to feature in the next episode ofUnder Suspicion: the Cinderella Murder. When Susan Dempsey, a beautiful and multi-talented UCLA student, was found dead, her murder raised numerous questions. Why was her car parked miles from her body? Had she ever shown up for the acting audition she was due to attend at the home of an up-and-coming director? Why does Susan’s boyfriend want to avoid questions about their relationship? Was her disappearance connected to a controversial church that was active on campus? Was she close to her computer science professor because of her technological brilliance, or something more? And why was Susan missing one of her shoes when her body was discovered?

With the help of lawyer and Under Suspicion host Alex Buckley, Laurie knows the case will attract great ratings, especially when the former suspects include Hollywood’s elite and tech billionaires. The suspense and drama are perfect for the silver screen—but is Cinderella’s murderer ready for a close-up?

Genre: Mystery 

Why I Picked This Book:  I'm trying to read through the books on my Library list and last year I did a random number pick and this was one of them.  This was the only book left over from 2023 so of course I had to get it read!

My Impression:  It's been a long time since I've read anything by Mary Higgins Clark but I used to love her books.  This was an entertaining read with a better plot than I remember Clark's books having.   The premise of this series is one that really calls to me as the main character is the producer of a true crime that focuses on cold cases.  The characters on the production team are primarily nice people (with the exception of Brett who is a bit overly slick) and intelligent and I liked them all.

The people involved in the long ago murder are not quite so likable and they all have their secrets - but are any of them a killer?  I enjoyed following along and seeing the story unravel from multiple angles.  The writing style kept the intensity low so while it does deal with violence it felt like a light read with a good pace.  I will be reading more books from this writing duo and while I had no issue jumping in with the second book in this series I'm looking forward to going back and reading the first book.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? I would.  This was a fun read and I think I would enjoy more from this writing duo.

Would I Recommend this Book? If you're looking for a fast read with an entertaining mystery this is a good one.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of this series, but I used to enjoy Mary Higgins Clark's writing from way back. And I've read several by Alafair Burke that I've liked. Don't think I've read any of their duo-written books. Seems they were a good pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Mary Higgins Clark's first books. They were all so good. Her later ones got a bit predictable and formulaic imo. Glad this one had a better plot and was an entertaining read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really good - I am always in awe of writers that can write a book together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like very good reading. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love Mary Higgins Clark's books. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete