Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors I've Only Read 1 Book From

Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic from The Broke and The Bookish is the top ten authors I've only read 1 book from but NEED to read more.  This is a pretty fitting topic for me as I'm always finding authors I love, reading one book from and then never reading more.

1.  Kate Morton - I read The Forgotten Garden a year or two ago and loved it and swore I was going to read more.  My library has copies of all of her books. How many have I read?  0

2.  Kate Ellis - Pre-internet days (or at least pre-everything is available on the internet days) I discovered a Kate Ellis British murder mystery featuring Detective Sergeant Wesley Peterson called The Bone Garden.  I loved it and promptly began haunting by used bookstores looking for more only to never find any.  I now own at least 3 but have yet to read them.
 
3.  P.J. Alderman - I read and really enjoyed the first ghostly mystery in the Port Chatham series entitled Haunting Jordan.  Have yet to start book #2 even though I've owned it for years.

4.  Rachel Bertsche - Ever since I read Jennifer, Gwyneth and Me (review) I've been meaning to read more of her work.  So far it hasn't happened.

5.  Molly Harper - I adored the lovely frothiness that was Better Homes and Hauntings (review) and have been told that it's not even close to her best book.

6.  Catherine Aird - I loved the one book by this classic British author I've read - A Most Contagious Game.  In fact I enjoyed them so much that I picked up 3 last time I was at the used bookstore.  Haven't read a one yet!

7.  Hannah Dennison - Murder at Honeychurch Hall (review) was one of my favorite cozies of the year so far.  I'm dying to read some of her other books.

8.  Liz Trenow - The Forgotten Seamstress (review) was one of my favorite books of the year so far but I still haven't read any of ther others even though I have her newest book waiting for me on my Kindle.

9.  Jo Bannister - I read the first book in the Castlemere series and while I loved the nicely done British Police Procedural I haven't picked up another one even though she's written dozens!

10. Eowyn Ivey - I read The Snow Child last year for book club and fell in love with her rather stark and beautifully descriptive writing style.  I'm not sure she's written any other books but if she has I need to read them.  I can still vividly recall some of the images this book painted.



30 comments:

  1. How sad is it that I haven't read any of the authors on your list. Well, I did start one of Kate Morton's books, but I didn't make it far into it before deciding it wasn't for me.

    I really want to read The Snow Child and Molly Harper's series appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you either love Kate Morton or you hate her. I really enjoyed the one I did read of hers but I know lots of people who didn't.

      I think you'll like The Snow Child and the Harper book was just fun.

      Delete
  2. Heh, Better Homes and Hauntings was definitely not Harper's best book by a long shot. :D I did enjoy Murder at Honeychurch Hall. Most of the others I'm not familiar with but I may see if my library has them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I heard about the Harper book. I think one of the reasons I liked it so much was because it exactly suited my mood when I read it!

      Delete
  3. The Secret Keeper and The Snow Child are both on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Secret Keeper but I want to. I really loved The Snow Child. I hope you love them both!

      Delete
  4. I have not read any of those authors, but I love that one called Better Homes and Hauntings! Sounds like a fun one!
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. It's a great book for when you need to the book version of a sitcom or romantic comedy!

      Delete
  5. The Forgotten Garden is the only Morton I've read, too, but The House at Riverton keeps calling...

    I picked up The Snow Child at the library book sale this summer and am looking forward to reading it.

    Fun topic! Might have to play tomorrow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The House at Riverton keeps calling to me too. I think you'll enjoy The Snow Child. The writing was very distinctive to me.

      Delete
  6. I NEED to read Kate Morton!! I have one of hers on audio and one on my shelf (Forgotten Garden) but I think I'm a bit intimidated by the size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This from the person who's reading the Sparrow?? It's been awhile since I read it but I remember it being a fairly fast read. Most faster than you'd expect for the bulk!

      Delete
  7. I have a copy of Kate Morton's book too, it's a big fattie and I can't remember the name now. It's set up as book #3 in my lineup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Kate Morton's books are enormous which is probably what has kept me from reading more even the though the one I did read didn't feel all that long. Hope you love it!

      Delete
  8. I'm not going to lie, I haven't read any of the authors you've mentioned but have almost all on my TBR list. I'm really looking forward to getting to read The Forgotten Garden soon, after having it collecting dust on my shelf :)
    Thanks for stopping by my TTT :)

    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed The Forgotten Garden and hope you do too. I think we all have so many books collecting dust. I really need an extra day a week just to read!

      Delete
  9. I should read The Forgotten Garden, thanks for recommending it.
    Also Molly Harper and Hannah Dennison sound like good cozies.
    I read The Snow Child last year and found it okay for me but not great. Maybe the frame of mind I was in at that time, but glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. It had kind of a fairy tale atmosphere that really worked for me.
      The Dennison is a great cozy. I really enjoyed it. The Harper book is more a paranormal romance but it was fun. It was exactly the book I wanted when I read it which was nice.
      I don't know what about The Snow Child clicked with me but I loved it. Some of the other people in my book club felt the same way you did!

      Delete
  10. Seems like Kate Morton's books are all big - they kind of scare a gal off even though you know you'll enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean and I definitely get scared off by huge books but this one really didn't read as that big. I really don't think it was more than 500 pages it just looked massive.

      Delete
  11. A list of authors, none of whom I've read. I've been missing a lot. I will add a couple of these to my Kindle. It's an honor to know someone with such a wide range of books in their reading background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much! I hope you find a few authors you enjoy!

      Delete
  12. Molly Harper is such a fun author-definitely get to her other books at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard Better Homes and Hauntings was a weaker book so I'm really looking forward to reading more!

      Delete
  13. I am with you on 1, 2, 5 and 10. I loved one book by them and really need to read more. Now to check out these authors I am not familiar with. Thanks Katherine:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Kate Ellis's mysteries! I have no idea why I haven't read more of her!

      Delete
  14. "Rachel Bertsche - Ever since I read Jennifer, Gwyneth and Me (review) I've been meaning to read more of her work." Funny thing is I want to read this book! I have only read MWF looking for BFF. But I want to read her other book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it and found it pretty interesting. I hope you enjoy it as well. Now I can't wait to read MWF looking for BFF!

      Delete
  15. You've got some interesting sounding authors here, Katherine. Hannah Dennison and Jo Bannister are two authors who sound good to me.I'll have to see if I can find some of their books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A Most Contagious Game is one of my favorite Aird mysteries! It's not part of her Inspector Sloan series, but it's wonderful. And I don't think Hannah Dennison has any other books out yet, but there will be a sequel to Murder at Honeychurch Hall (yay!) As for Kate Ellis, I'll have to check her out -- and Jo Bannister, Molly Harper, and Kate Morton. *sighs* Too many books, too little time.

    ReplyDelete