Thursday, September 4, 2014

Death in the Dolomites - Review


Death in the Dolomites by David P. Wagner

Rating: 3.5 Stars
Source: NetGalley

Description:  Rick Montoya, an American with Italian roots, living in Italy and working as a translator, is asked to help with an American goes missing in Campiglio.  In this tourist town filled with skiers there are as many suspects as questions.

Genre: Mystery
Why I Picked This Book: I'm not sure I've ever read a book set in the Italian Alps.  I couldn't pass this one up!

My Impression:
Pros:  I really enjoyed the setting in this one and it plays a very prominent role.  There's food and wine discussed, little bits of Italian and of course lots of skiing.  You definitely get a feel for the town which if you're reading a book set in the Italian Alps is kind of the point!  I really enjoyed the 3 main characters - Rick, his friend Flavio, and Flavio's friend and local police officer Luca.  All 3 men were likable and intelligent.  The mystery itself was well done and the investigation unfolded bit by bit in a really natural feeling manner.  Since Rick is an English/Italian translator with ties to the police department ti made sense as to why he would be called in to help with the investigation into a missing American whose sister speaks only English. While this wasn't the most fast paced book I've read it was one I enjoyed reading and always looked forward to picking up.

Cons:  Some of the secondary characters blended a bit to much.  They were all tied together and their personalities didn't seem quite distinct enough to keep track of which was the mayor and which was the store owner.  That got a little confusing.

Overall:  I enjoyed this mystery even when I had to remind myself of who the minor characters were.  Rick and his friends were entertaining and the setting was beautiful and well drawn.  I don't see myself skiing at any point but I definitely wouldn't turn down a visit to the Italian Alps.  Until then I'll just read more of Wagner when I want to go to Italy.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes

Would I Recommend this Book?: Yes.  If you enjoy mysteries but aren't looking for a cozy or a thriller this would be a good one.  Especially if you like to travel without leaving home!

10 comments:

  1. Interesting you say this isn't a cozy or a thriller. I do like the different setting--that is such a plus when we read so much! Thanks for an informative and honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting was amazing. I do't ski but if I did I think it would've taken serious restraint to not book a trip immediately. As it was it's definitely a place I now want to visit.
      It does walk kind of a fine line between being cozy and gripping. More of an almost classic mystery feel.

      Delete
  2. I would love to visit the Italian Alps! This sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice read and the setting was stunning! It's definitely on the quieter side but I enjoyed this one.

      Delete
  3. The setting sounds intriguing; I've read a few books set in the Swiss Alps but never in the Italian Alps. Generic secondary characters are sometimes a problem in mysteries; I think it's because the author is putting more effort into the plot than the characters. Is this the first in a series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually the 2nd in the series but I didn't know it until I pulled it up on amazon. It reads completely as a stand alone though I'd like to go back and read #1. The generic secondary is definitely a problem in mysteries and this definitely fell into that.

      Delete
  4. I've read a previous book in the series - Cold Tuscan Stone set in... Tuscany. I think Montoya travels around Italy and that gives us armchair travellers a nice feel for the place. I did find characterisation suffered a little in favour of plot, but you've hit the nail on the head: it's not brutal, noirish thriller territory, nor is it a delicious little cosy. I probably prefer Donna Leon's books set in Italy though (although she is mainly focused on Venice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get the impression that he traveled a good bit. I'm glad to know you enjoyed the previous book though it's too bad it suffered from the same problems. I'll have to give Donna Leon a try. I've heard of her but am not sure I've ever read any of her books.

      Delete
  5. The synopsis had me drooling, but the secondary characters have me concerned as I like to piece things together and it looks like it was confusing. Great review Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secondary characters blending together did impact my enjoyment of the book - especially since they were suspects! It's worth a read but not one I'm recommending to everyone I see.

      Delete