Saturday, September 20, 2014

Eat - Cookbook Review

Eat: The Little Book of Fast Food by Nigel Slater

I really wanted to like Eat.  I love cookbooks, I love British stuff.  I generally love most British cookbooks.  Then throw in the fact that this is supposed to be fast food that is tasty and I was sure I would love it.

Except I didn't.  Partly, I think this book is geared more towards the British palate than the American.  There are a number of recipes featuring Kippers, smoked Haddock and Mackerel.  My main problem, however, was the format.  This is a personal issue and something I don't think makes the book "bad" as just not for me.  Instead of a list of ingredients with measurements followed by the instructions we get the title of the recipe followed by a paragraph that combines both the instructions and ingredients.  In many recipes there aren't actual measurements.  My hardwired left brain needs to know that it's a tablespoon of paprika and not just "a good bit".

The variety of dishes is incredible.  Slater isn't kidding when he says 600 ideas.  I like that he includes variations with many of the recipes.  However, if you prefer your recipes in a more standard format you may want to give this one a miss.

Linked up with Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth Fish Reads

22 comments:

  1. I usually love Slater's style, but I understand the frustration with ingredients that arent that easy to find in the U.S. The paragraph style is harder to follow, but I'm ok with it, so I think I'd like to at least check this one out of the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the paragraph style doesn't bother you than I'd definitely check this out as I'm sure there's lots of good recipes in there. I just couldn't see past the format!

      Delete
  2. I've never seen recipes written in paragraph style! I'm not sure that I would like that either--I like having a list of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't get past it. I'd try to read the recipe and I just couldn't. I think I'm such a recipe follower this kind of relaxed format made my brain short circuit!

      Delete
  3. His book Kitchen Diaries are like that too. I like them and it's odd since I don't usually like that style of cookbook. I don't have a copy of Eat yet but it's on my wish list :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely give this a try. There looked like there were a lot of interesting recipes. I just wish I could get past the format!

      Delete
  4. Too bad I like his books-I would not enjoy the format though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like his books I'd still give this a try though maybe through the library. I haven't tried much of his recipes in other books so maybe that was what made it so challenging.

      Delete
  5. I like Eat - it suits my brain. And most of the recipes only have 3 or 4 ingredients so that's good too. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're enjoying it. It looked like it had so much potential though it just didn't work for me.

      Delete
  6. I've been curious to try some of his recipes, but like you, I like a list of ingredients and precise measurements. The paragraph style reminds me of historic recipes -- which were all written like that -- and they are hard to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it definitely reminded me of historic recipes. I just had an impossible time trying it. I do want to try his recipes as well so I'll definitely be trying again.

      Delete
  7. I watched a Nigel Slater episode yesterday on TV. I liked his cooking style on the show so I am going to check this book out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely a lot of options in this one. I wish I could get past the format but I'll definitely be looking for his other books or a TV show

      Delete
  8. It does sound like this is geared toward the British plate. Plus, I'm certain the same format issues would bother me. Will pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit disappointed because I like what I've seen of Slater. I'll definitely look at his other books.

      Delete
  9. Hmm, I don't like cookbook recipes written in paragraph form. I need a list to work for me. i would have to pass. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't work for me either. I do want to try some of his other books though.

      Delete
  10. I'm not fond of paragraph-form recipes and vague ingredient amounts either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not either. I can't make my brain work that way no matter how much I want it to.

      Delete
  11. I have been trying to cook so much more food. I have been in a slump in the last month but I am ready to get back in!! Too bad this book didn't do it for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really like to cook but this time of year I think it's hard not to be in a slump. I'm sure you'll get back in.

      Delete