Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Books I'm Thankful For


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is Reasons I'm Thankful For Books but I'm changing it up a little bit and focusing on specific books I'm thankful for.  These are all books that aren't necessarily fine literature but each have a sentimental meaning or were just the beginning of a genre or an author that has brought me lots of enjoyment.


1.  At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald - This was my Grandmother's favorite book as a child and while I read it too late to discuss it with her I did enjoy being able to share this with her.

2.  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - This is one of my dad's favorite books and we had a computer game from the pre-graphic days that we could play together.  Even when I was a bratty preteen it was nice that we could at least share this.

3.  Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce - I read this book in high school and I LOATHED it.  There is not enough money in the world to get me to reread it.  However, when my husband and I were dating and we were talking about books we had had to read this book came up and we were able to discuss how much we both disliked the book.

4.  Tears of the Moon by Nora Roberts - This was the first contemporary romance book I ever read and Nora Roberts has provided me so much enjoyment and escape over the years so I'm thankful I picked this one up.

5.  House of Many Shadows by Barbara Michaels - I love Barbara Michaels and this is probably my very favorite.  I've reread it countless times.  


6.  Whiskey Island by Emilie Richards - This was the first Emilie Richards book I ever read and I picked it up on a total whim.  Since reading this book I have read so much more of this author and never fail to enjoy them.  I'm thankful I picked up this book on a whim.

7.  Plaster and Poison by Jennie Bentley - This was the one of the first cozy mystery series that I really fell in love with and made cozies a go-to genre for me.

8.  Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis - I wasn't reading much romance when a good friend recommended this to me.  I really enjoyed it but I also really enjoyed getting a book recommendation from a good friend!  Now I get lots of recommendations from my blogger friends but this was kind of the first in awhile.

9.  The Cursed by Heather Graham - This was the first Heather Graham book I ever read and I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of paranormal and romantic suspense.  Since then I've enjoyed so many of her books.  They aren't necessarily the most memorable but they are always entertaining and frequently that is exactly what I'm looking for.

10.  The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman - Mrs. Pollifax reminds me a bit of my grandmother and this was the very first one I read.  I'm almost finished with the series and I'll be so sad when I have no more books left to discover in the Mrs. Pollifax world.

What books are you thankful for?

8 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for too many to list. I have read the Jill Shalvis and Dorothy Gilman books you mentioned.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for books, period. Have a blessed Thanksgiving ☕๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿฆƒ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have two of my favorite books of all time on this list, Katherine! The Mrs. Pollifax book - been a while since I reread any of those - and the House of Many Shadows. Barbara Michaels has several books on my 'love-it-for-all-time' list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books like that. That's so cool about Hitchhiker's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this list and enjoyed reading the reasons each of these books are special to you. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy holds a special place in my heart too--although for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see many books here I have enjoyed ... or not. Hated Portrait of a Young Man! Whiskey Island was my least favourite Emilie Richards book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful list! It makes me feel happy just to see how these books have impacted your life.

    ReplyDelete