Friday, November 24, 2023

Friday Fives - Five Quick Reviews for Books I've Read Recently


I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. This week I'm sharing 5 quick reviews for books I've read recently.


1.  Color Me Murder by Krista Davis - This was the first in a cozy mystery series involving book store manager and coloring book artist Florrie Fox.  I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery.  The premise is fantastic and I really loved how Florrie's side business as a coloring book artist comes into play as she uses her sketches to help order her thoughts.  Florrie is a likable main character who is intelligent and kind and thankfully not afraid to call for help when needed.  The mystery kept me guessing and the wrap up had me holding my breath a bit.  This was a fun first book in a series and definitely one I'm looking forward to reading more from. My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)


2.  The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley -
This is the 2nd book I've read by Lucy Foley and I enjoyed this one more then The Paris Apartment.  The characters in this book were no more likable than the other book but I do love an isolated setting and I'm not sure it could get more isolated than an estate in the Scottish highlands during a visit.  This book takes a look at old friends and emphasizes how sometimes when you really look at those long term connections you realize that you don't have anything in common anymore.  I did guess the twist before it came to be but I enjoyed getting there.  This book worked really well on audio but I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed it as much if I had read it as the pacing and the information reveal was a bit on the slow side.  Overall, though I did enjoy this and next time I'm looking for an atmospheric thriller I will probably pick up a Lucy Foley book.  My Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)


3.  Quicksand by Gigi Pandian -
This is the third book in the Dr. Jaya Jones series and I think I might have enjoyed this one the most.  The mystery was fun with a mix of magic, history, and thievery.  I enjoyed the addition of Sebastian and seeing a bit more of Lane's life before he decided to make a change.  I also liked that we see some developments in Jaya and Lane's life.   The history of the French West India Company was unknown to me and I really enjoyed learning a little bit about it along with history of Mont-Saint-Michel all with a treasure hunt.  This is a fun series that focuses on history and heists.  I'm looking forward to reading the next one! My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)


4.  South of the Buttonwood Tree by Heather Webber -
I absolutely loved the Midnight at the Blackbird CafĂ© by this author when I listened to it a year or two ago so I was hesitant to read another book by her in case it let me down.  That said I'm kicking myself for taking so long to pick this book up.  I loved Blue and Sarah Grace and loved their stories and rooted for them.  I listened to the audio of this book and enjoyed the narration and the fact that the Southern accent was not overdone.   I loved this story of family, acceptance, and forgiveness all mixed in with just a touch of magic.  I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.  My Rating: Loved It (5 Stars)


5.  Death Comes to Marlow by Robert Thorogood -
This is the 2nd book in a series involving Judith, Susie, and Becks who are three very different women all living in Marlow who happen to work together to solve murders occasionally.  I enjoyed this one as I did the first book though neither of them have been exactly standouts.  This book focused on Judith and Susie and Becks seems to have a secret that she doesn't want to share with her friends.  I like that Susie is finding something that she is good and gaining a bit of confidence.  The mystery was entertaining and the sleuths are a bit unique and all bring different skills to the table.  I enjoyed this and will get the next book but it isn't a series that really stands out in my mind.  My Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)



2 comments:

  1. I loved the isolated setting of The Hunting Party, too. And I'm glad to read your short review of South of the Buttonwood Tree...it's been on my Goodreads want to read list for awhile now, and I was starting to wonder if maybe I should just take it off and not read it. but it sounds like that would be a big mistake. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you enjoyed the audio of South of the Buttonwood Tree too, I certainly am happy to read anything by her. Color Me Murder sounds very good too.

    ReplyDelete