Saturday, February 11, 2023

The Girl in the Cellar - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: The Girl in the Cellar by Patricia Wentworth

Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)
Source:  Purchased

Description:  Miss Silver helps a woman with no memory reconstruct a terrible crime
She awakes in a dark place. A young woman with a shattered memory, she knows neither who she is nor how she came to be in this abandoned house. All she possesses is a faint sense that someone is lying dead at the foot of the stairs. Horrifyingly, she is correct. In the cellar lies a young woman, her body broken, her head split, her life undone by a revolver's shell. The amnesiac flees and finally has a stroke of luck: She meets Maud Silver. A dowdy governess turned daring detective, Miss Silver sees immediately that something is wrong. She comforts the confused young woman, and coaxes out of her what little story she can tell. The memory of the body sets Miss Silver on a fantastic adventure--the last written by Patricia Wentworth, and one of the most thrilling of them all.

Genre: Mystery - Classic

My Impression:  This is the last Miss Silver book and I'm very sad to see the end of this one because it now means that I have read all the Miss Silver books that were written.  This mystery was written later in Wentworth's life and it isn't her strongest.  I can't say too much with giving spoilers but there are a couple of incidents where people know something there really isn't any way for them to know.   These are only a couple of small hiccups in the book and didn't mess up the reading experience but did have saying "wait..." after reading it.

I do love a mystery involving amnesia and this had a fun spin on it as Anne's potential identity is known almost at once but she isn't sure that she is who everyone thinks she is.  And if she isn't how did get the handbag and the letter - and just who is the dead girl in the cellar?  There are a couple of pretty big coincidences in the story but it still made a fun read.  

I really enjoyed reading all the Miss Silver books over the past two years.  Not all of them are perfect but I enjoyed every one of them!  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course!  While I have finished the Miss Silver books there are still a number of stand alone books by Wentworth.

Would I Recommend this Book?  I would definitely recommend this author and this series - especially if you're a fan of Christie's Miss Marple.  However, I'm not sure I'd recommend starting with this book.

6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to read some of Wentworth's Miss Silver mysteries, but sadly my library doesn't have any. They do sound like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read any classic mysteries, but I need to try some one day

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been very faithful to Miss Silver and reading the whole series is a great achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a long series -- congratulations on getting all the way through! One of these days, I'll start reading the Miss Silver mysteries. Should I start at the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic review. It's always hard when you reach the end of a series.

    ReplyDelete