Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Overdue Reviews - Scent of Murder + Project Duchess

 

Goodreads:  Scent of Murder by Kylie Logan

Blurb:  The way Jazz Ramsey figures it, life is pretty good. She’s thirty-five years old and owns her own home in one of Cleveland’s most diverse, artsy, and interesting neighborhoods. She has a job she likes as an administrative assistant at an all-girls school, and a volunteer interest she’s passionate about—Jazz is a cadaver dog handler.
Jazz is working with Luther, a cadaver dog in training. Luther is still learning cadaver work, so Jazz is putting him through his paces at an abandoned building that will soon be turned into pricey condos. When Luther signals a find, Jazz is stunned to see the body of a young woman who is dressed in black and wearing the kind of make-up and jewelry that Jazz used to see on the Goth kids back in high school.

She’s even more shocked when she realizes that beneath the tattoos and the piercings and all that pale make up is a familiar face.

The lead detective on the case is an old lover, and the murdered woman is an old student. Jazz finds herself sucked into the case, obsessed with learning the truth.

My Thoughts:  Pretty much any book with a dog (if the dog is not in peril in the book) is going to be an enjoyable read for me and this was no exception.  I'm fascinated by dog training and actively working at training my dog in Scent Work with hopes to move over to Search and Rescue so I found all the mentions of dog training incredibly interesting.  The mystery was interesting.  Jazz's reasons for getting involved in the investigation made some sense and her methods were pretty good.  I liked the setup of the community with her family and friends.  My Rating:  Liked It! (3.5 Stars)



Goodreads:  Project Duchess by Sabrina Jeffries

Blurb:  A series of stepfathers and a difficult childhood have left Fletcher “Grey” Pryde, 5th Duke of Greycourt, with a guarded heart, enviable wealth, and the undeserved reputation of a rogue. Grey’s focus on expanding his dukedom allows him little time to find a wife. But when his mother is widowed yet again and he meets the charmingly unconventional woman managing his stepfather’s funeral, he’s shocked to discover how much they have in common. Still, Grey isn’t interested in love, no matter how pretty, or delightfully outspoken, the lady . .  

Beatrice Wolfe gave up on romance long ago, and the arrogant Duke of Greycourt with his rakish reputation isn’t exactly changing her mind. Then Grey agrees to assist his grief-stricken mother with her latest “project”: schooling spirited, unfashionable Beatrice for her debut. Now that Beatrice is seeing through Grey’s charms to his wounded heart, she’s having trouble keeping him at arm’s length. But once Grey starts digging into her family’s secrets, she must decide whether her loyalties lie with her family . . . or with the man whose lessons capture her heart . . .

My Thoughts:  The premise of this romance is an interesting one.   When Greycourt's mother is widowed unexpectedly Grey is summoned home to his estranged family and discovers that all may not be what it seems with his stepfather's death.  And unfortunately part of the secrets may involve Beatrice.  Beatrice is smart woman who is aware of her potentially shaky future and is fiercely loyal to her brother despite not being quite sure what secrets he was hiding.  Grey's family was also an interesting ensemble of characters with a collection of Dukes for brothers, an entertaining and strong willed sister, and a mother who potentially has a few secrets of her own.  Unfortunately, I just never could warm up to Grey.  He had a tough childhood which I was sympathetic too but after awhile I was kind of done.  He doesn't have the monopoly on tough times.  I'll read more of this series but this was probably the book of this author's that I felt was the weakest.  My Rating: Liked It (3 Stars)

6 comments:

  1. I might of liked Scent of Murder but I didn't take it because it didn't seem to be working dog enough for me at the time.

    Anne – Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to devour Jeffries, but haven't read her in a long time. Yep, books with dogs and romantic suspense are my jam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like K-9 stories. These both look good to me. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pity about the Jeffries book and I can see why The Scent of Murder appealed to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed Scent of Murder, but I never went on to read any of the other books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Scent of Murder has been on my TBR pile awhile now. I do like the sound of it. I've only read one Sabrina Jeffries' book and liked it. I keep wanting to read more by her.

    ReplyDelete