Thursday, January 12, 2023

Books from the Backlog - Murder Most Malicious


Today I'm linking up with Carole from Carole's Random Life of Books for Books from the Backlog.  I really enjoy the chance to feature a book that's been hiding in the piles of books for far too long!


Goodreads:  Murder Most Malicious by Alyssa Maxwell

Blurb:  In post–World War I England, Lady Phoebe Renshaw and her lady's maid, Eva Huntford, step outside of their social roles and put their lives at risk to apprehend a vicious killer. . .
December 1918: As a difficult year draws to a close, there is much to celebrate for nineteen-year-old Phoebe Renshaw and her three siblings at their beloved family estate of Foxwood Hall. The dreadful war is finally over; eldest daughter Julia's engagement to their houseguest, the Marquis of Allerton, appears imminent; and all have gathered to enjoy peace on earth, good will toward men.

But the peace of Foxwood Hall is shattered on the morning of Boxing Day, when the Marquis goes missing. Not entirely missing, however, as macabre evidence of foul play turns up in gift boxes given to lady's maid Eva Huntford and a handful of others. Having overheard her sister and the Marquis in a heated exchange the night before, Lady Phoebe takes a personal interest in solving the mystery.

As the local constable suspects a footman at Foxwood Hall, Phoebe and Eva follow the clues to a different conclusion. But both young women will need to think outside the box to wrap up this case--before a cornered killer lashes out with ill will toward them. . .

Why It Needs to Come Off the Shelf:  It's been on my NetGalley shelf gathering dust for far too long and I love historical mysteries.  This sounds like it could be a great read!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds good, and it's a series I'm not familiar with! (Bustles off to add it to my TBR list.) Also, thank you for pointing me toward Carole's Books from the Backlog meme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound like it'll be a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I does look really good! I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few of these from NetGalley I need to get to as well. This does sound really good and like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It feels so good to cross those old NetGalley books off of your tbr! This sounds like it might turn out to be a fantastic read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great cover. It's vintage looking. 📘✨

    ReplyDelete