Saturday, December 17, 2022

The Listening Eye - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: The Listening Eye by Patricia Wentworth

Rating: Loved It! (5 Stars)
Source:   Purchased

Description:  Paulina Paine was buried under her house during the Blitz. She spent twenty-four hours trapped underneath the rubble, where the silence was absolute as the grave, and only after she escaped did she realize that the bomb that spared her life had taken her hearing. With difficulty, she learned to read lips—an invaluable skill that may soon get her killed.
She is at an art gallery when, quite by chance, she spies an interesting conversation across the room. Without meaning to, she eavesdrops, and learns of a shocking plan to commit a most fearsome robbery. She doesn’t know what to do until she learns that, after she left, the two men asked after her, and learned about her special talent. Now only the demure detective Maud Silver can halt the robbery and save Paulina’s life.


Genre:  Mystery - Classic

My Impression:  Sometimes I wonder if people who write the blurb have actually read the book.  In this case if they did they didn't get very far as the last bit is completely off base.  

That said this is a delight of a mystery with a unique premise.  A woman who lost her hearing during the Blitz happens to read the lips of a man from across the room discussing a nefarious plan.  She's not sure what to do until she remembers meeting a friend of a friend - who just happens to be private detective Maude Silver.

When a robbery and a murder occur just as Pauline predicted Miss Silver is drawn in to figure out just who was behind the scenes.  I loved seeing Miss Silver in her official capacity and working closely with Detective Inspector Frank Abbott.  I loved the pacing, the characters, and the setting.  The mystery kept me pulled in and this was an enjoyable cozy read.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course!  I'm already reading the next Miss Silver book!

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you enjoy Agatha Christie's Miss Marple you should try Miss Silver and this is a great read.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I'm not a big series reader so I'm wondering if this can be read alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason these covers really appeal to me. 🙌🙌🙌

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review, I wonder sometimes if the blurb writer have ever read the book too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to start reading this series. Your reviews always make them sound so enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should read Miss Silver. I should read Miss Silver. I should read Miss Silver.

    I really really should...

    2023 - I promise!!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blurbs sometimes can be way off or give away too much. This sounds like a good mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha beware of lip readers. Sounds like another great book.

    ReplyDelete