Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Ten Spooky Reads for October

I have been in the middle of the late September holiday releases.  Now I love a good Christmas romance or murder but right about now I'm starting to crazy something a little more creepy.  Now my version of creep is pretty low key.  I'm not much of a horror reader and I have very strict rules about who can be in danger (no kids, no animals, no older people) so this is pretty much just lightweight creepy but it's enough for me!

1.  We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson - It always annoys me when I see Jackson listed as horror.  I think people who are looking for serious horror would be very disappointed.  What Jackson is a master of is the eerie, the unsettling, the feeling of something just isn't right.  I really was convinced I had read this one so never really made an effort but recently I really read the blurb and realized that I had never opened this one before.  I'm hoping to fix that one!

2.  Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - Pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman is going to be creepy and weird and slightly unsettling plus the world "eerie" is used in the description of this one so I figure it counts.  Plus, I happened to have bought it on sale at Audible a few months ago so I figure that's a sign.

3.  The Turn of the Screw by Henry James - I have dreams of reading Portrait of a Lady by Henry James but this looks a bit spooky and like a better introduction than the rather massive novel.

4.  The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - I have the movie of this recorded but I'd really like to read the book first.  It's such a short one I should be able to get it in fairly quickly.

5.  Touch Not the Cat by Mary Stewart - I've been fooled before with a Mary Stewart book that looked Gothic-y and creepy but ended up being not so much.  This could go that way but it has an old family estate and a curse so it's going to be a win either way.

6.  Ten by Gretchen McNeil - This one has a very And Then There Were None feel with a modern and YA twist so I'm seriously intrigued!

7.  Second Sight by Amanda Quick - This is the first in the Arcane Society series which so many people have told me that I need to read and I know Quick/Krentz does some pretty fun suspense so I think now seems like the time!

8.  Hunting Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco - I really meant to read this last year but never quite managed it but I really want to try it this year.  I'm fascinated by the Jack the Ripper case so I like this fiction twist.

9.  Phantom Evil by Heather Graham - I love the Krewe of Hunters series!  It's the perfect mix of supernatural with romantic suspense and I always enjoy them but somehow I've never gone back and read the first one.

10. Omens by Kelley Armstrong - I've been wanting to read Armstrong since I started blogging but have yet to manage it.  Halloween sounds like the perfect time to try her books!

What creepy books are you hoping to read this October?  Are you a lightweight creepy lover or do you like a little more serious creepy?


18 comments:

  1. I don't like creepy! But I seem to read a few. I like Mary Stewart and the J. D. Robb books can be creepy and I'll read J A Krentz and Karen Rose who have creepy parts. But nothing too graphic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought of trying Gaiman a few times, and Neverwhere seems like it would be a good one to try. And TEN was pretty decent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My horror choices certainly aren't for those of a nervous disposition! *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched Dorian Gray on TCM, but have never read the book. As far as scary reads, that's a big NO for me Katherine, and the same goes for scary movies this time of year too.(lol) I'm just holding on for my Hallmark Christmas movies.(lol) Happy Tuesday and Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arcane Society series is one of my favorites and yes to Omens! Great list as always Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I thought I would like your list and I certainly do, Katherine! I've read Touch Not the Cat and it has a bit of Gothic in it - you should try it. It's not exactly like her earlier books, but it's a favorite of mine. And I've read Ten - yes, a tribute to Christie. I loved Second Sight and think I read all the Arcane Society books. Some are under her Quick name and some under other names. OK, The Turn of the Screw is seriously creepy, but I think I'm biased because I'm pretty sure I saw a movie adaptation of it when I was a little girl and it scared me witless. I'm not a big Henry James fan except for that book. Here's a suggestion too - have you ever read the one scary book that Anne Rivers Siddons wrote - The House Next Door? Seriously creepy - you should try it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hunting Jack the Ripper is SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only read Ten, which I liked. I wasn't totally amazing, but I enjoyed it. It was a long time ago, though and I've never read And Then There Were None.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Henry James, and Turn of the Screw is my favorite. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I did enjoy the Amanda Quick. That's about as spooky as I go. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m hoping to read some Stephen King books this October. Dorian Gray is one of my favorite classics. I still need to read Jack The Ripper and We Have Always Lived In The Castle. Great recommendations!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any of these. I do hope to fit a spooky read or two into my October as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Read three on your list! Hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with what you say regarding how Shirley Jackson is categorised as horror. Great picks... Some new to me ones here also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo... I enjoy Mary Stewart's books - The Little Broomstick is an especial favourite of mine but I haven't read Touch Not the Cat and it looks as though it's one I should track down. I've read Omens - definitely creepy rather than horror, I hope you enjoy it as I always enjoy her writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These all sound like great books to read this time of year, Katherine! I hope you enjoy Neverwhere. I wasn't sure what to expect going into that one and ended up loving it quite a bit. I even watched the mini-series based on it. Second Sight sounds really good! I will have to look into that one. And Heather Graham! I need to get back into her books. I hope you enjoy all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm finally reading We Have Always Lived In The Castle this month!

    ReplyDelete