Monday, September 3, 2018

Second Chance at Two Love Lane - Contemporary Romance


Rating: Very Good
Source:  Publisher

Description: 
Sometimes love is waiting in the second act...

In her professional career, Ella Mancini plays matchmaker at Two Love Lane but, in her personal life, she takes the stage at the Dock Street Theatre. Now she has a chance at a new role in a Hollywood movie that happens to be filming in Charleston—one that features a big-name actress, Samantha Drake. Long ago, Ella passed up a major audition while awaiting a marriage proposal. Not only didn’t she get the role; she never got the ring, either. Instead, her boyfriend Hank went on to become a huge film star…leaving her, and all her dreams, behind.

But now Hank’s back in Charleston, cast as the male lead in the same movie Ella’s in. In spite of the dramatic tension off-screen, he and Ella try to stay cool onset. But when their old feelings start to heat up—at the same time leading-lady Samantha tries to play cupid—all bets are off. How can Hank convince Ella, after all this time, that she’s the one he really wants to be with in real life—and that some happy, rom-com endings really can come true?

Genre: Romance - Contemporary

Why I Picked This Book:
  I have been loving the Charleston setting and I can't think that I've ever read a romance that takes place there.  Plus, in the couple of famous people romances I've read the movie star is always the woman so this is an interesting twist.

My Impression:
  I always love the idea of a second chance romance but regularly struggle with the execution.  The ones I typically read involve a couple that broke up in high school yet somehow are convinced they're still in love with each other despite not seeing each other for a decade which frankly never feels very healthy OR the cause of their split was so traumatic I have a hard time believing that they ever really could get past it.  I was really pleased with the execution here.  For starters Ella and Hank were both young adults and starting off they're lives when they got together AND what really caused the split was them just not being quite on the same page at the same time. As well, Ella truly believes she's moved on until she receives a message from Hank and Hank is just realizing that he messed up all those years ago with a little more life experience under his belt.  The fact that this second chance really worked for me really made me enjoy this book.

I loved the side characters - Miss Thing, Roberta, Pammy, the Nonnas and everyone else floating around in Ella's life.  As well I loved that Samantha Drake isn't a one note villain.  At the very beginning that was fully where I expected her to go but I was so happy that she was such a more complex character.  Even when I didn't trust her I really enjoyed her time on the page.   Ella and Hank are a little flat though they're likable and sympathetic.  I did really want them to just communicate with each other more.  They both kind of relied on their previous knowledge of each other instead of talking for far too long.  Though this did lead to a kind of sweet/funny scene involving hazelnut creamer that was pretty funny.  

While this wasn't a romance that really pulled on my heartstrings and will make my all time favorites list I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I loved the characters and really enjoyed the setting.  This is the 3rd book in the series and I'm looking forward to going back and reading the other two so I can revisit life on Two Love Lane.  Hopefully Miss Thing will be there in full Queen Elizabeth dress.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?
  Absolutely!  I enjoyed this and am looking forward to seeing the other 2 stories in the series.  

Would I Recommend this Book?
  If you like contemporary romance this is a fun series though it leans a bit towards women's fiction.

8 comments:

  1. I struggle so much with second chance romances. I agree, that it seems weird that two people would still so strongly for each other years after they broke up. When I was younger I loved second chance romances, but now not so much. But I am so glad that it was handled so well here! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bit of a soft spot for second chance romances - but the premise has to be convincing. Glad this one really works, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy second chance romances, and am really looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to try this series. I see the first book has Christmas in the title so I'll try to get it to read in Dec.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like second chance romances, but I agree with you that sometimes they seem either unrealistic, or the characters were unable to let go of the past relationship in a way that can seem obsessive. The series as a whole sounds enjoyable, and I've been meaning to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good. I do like second chance romances if they are done right. I haven't read this author before but this sounds like a great place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that the surrounding characters are interesting. I nearly always enjoy a book when it is populated with such characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it's been ages since I read her. I've only done her historicals, I think.

    ReplyDelete