Thursday, September 6, 2018

Books from the Backlog - Mrs. Hudson and the Spirits' Curse

Today I'm linking up with Carole from Carole's Random Life of Books for Books from the Backlog.  I really enjoy the chance to feature a book that's been hiding in the piles of books for far too long!  Today's book is Mrs. Hudson and the Spirits' Curse by Martin Davies.

Blurb:  What if Baker Street’s most gifted resident wasn’t called Sherlock Holmes?

An evil stalks London, blown in from the tropics. Stories of cursed giant rats and malign spirits haunt the garrets of Limehouse. A group of merchants are, one by one, dying: murdered, somehow. The elementary choice to investigate these mysterious deaths is, of course, Holmes and Dr Watson. Yet instead of deduction, it will be the unique gifts of their housekeeper, Mrs Hudson and her orphaned assistant Flotsam that will be needed to solve the case. Can she do it all under the nose of Sherlock himself?

From the coal fire at Baker Street to the smog of Whitechapel and the jungles of Sumatra, from snake bites in grand hotels to midnight carriage chases at the docks, it's time for Mrs Hudson to step out of the shadows. Playfully breaking with convention, Martin Davies brings a fresh twist to classic Victorian mystery.

Why It Needs to Come Off the Shelf:  I love the concept and I'm missing Sherlock Holmes lately!

What book is calling you from the corners of your bookshelf?

7 comments:

  1. I like to see a different twist on a story and it sounds like this is doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that the assistant to Mrs. Hudson is named Flotsam. Does Flotsam has a sibling named Jetsam? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun story! I hate to admit that I haven't read Sherlock Holmes but this twist on the regular story really appeals to me. I hope you love it when you get the chance to read it, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a lot of fun, Katherine. The Sherlock Holmes tie-in is a definite draw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh cool! This one is on my Amazon wish list. I need a dose of Sherlock Holmes regularly, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any Sherlock Holmes books. I do hope you enjoy this one when you have find the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good one Katherine! I don't think you have enough space for me to tell you what's hiding on my bookshelves.(lol) Hugs and Happy Friday! RO

    ReplyDelete