Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Top Ten Tuesday - My Ten All-Time Favorite Books


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups! Today's topic is Ten Posts That Give You the Best Glimpse of Me.  I hope my personality comes out a bit in my posts and comments but for the most part I don't post that much personal stuff and my social media is even more barren.  So instead I thought I'd share my ten all-time favorite books and tell you a little bit about why they're my favorites.


1. The Story Girl by L.M. Montgomery - This is one of my favorite Montgomery books and I can't even begin to guess how many times I've read it.  It's essentially a short story collection involving a group of cousins spending the summer at the family farm.  It's lovely and poignant and magical all at once.  If you watched "Road to Avonlea" 100 years ago on the Disney Channel this is the book it is based off.  And now I want to go hunt that series down and do a big rewatch.

2.  Into the Darkness by Barbara Michaels - This is one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors and everytime I reread it I enjoy it just as much if not more than I did the first time I read it.  There's family secrets, history, gorgeous jewels, a touch of romance, and murder.  What's not to love.  Everytime I read this book I become fascinated by posy rings and historical jewels!

3.  Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christie - I love Agatha Christie, I love Miss Marple, I love Christie's short stories and this book is all three.  This was one of the first books by Christie that I read and it is the one I typically want to reread when I'm feeling stressed or worn out.  This is a cozy blanket and a cup of tea in a book form - with the extra bit of joy as Miss Marple shows up her good hearted but pompous nephew.

4.  The Case of William Smith by Patricia Wentworth - I love Wentworth's books and this one may be my favorite.  The mystery is a good one with connections to the past and touches on some of the upheaval that happened after World War II.  There's a bit of romance and of course the wonderful Miss Silver makes an appearance.  

5.  The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin - Words cannot express how much I loved this book as a kid and when I reread it as an adult I enjoyed it just as much.  I love the puzzle element and all the different characters.  And even better now is all the 80s throwbacks sprinkled through the book.  


6.  The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery - Another Montgomery book but this one, while child friendly, isn't really for children.  I love this story.  I love Verity and I adore watching her find her footing and figure out what really makes her happy.  Just thinking about this one makes me want to reread it.

7.  Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas - I'm a sucker for a character without much confidence or really any idea what she wants finding herself and what she really wants out of life.  That fact that this involves both main characters (though he's not really lacking in confidence) makes it doubly fantastic.

8.  Murder in Retrospect by Agatha Christie - This may be my favorite Poirot.  The idea of investigating a murder that happened in the past and is technically solved is an intriguing one and Christie's execution of it is absolutely brilliant.

9.  Gone Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright - So technically Four Story Mistake by Enright is my very favorite but the only reason that is my favorite over this book is because I didn't know this book existed until I was an adult.  If I had discovered this when I was a kid and reading Four Story Mistake over and over again I would have fallen in love with it and read it until the book literally fell apart.  I love everything about this book and it is one I look forward to rereading even now.

10. The Last Bookshop in London by Madeline Martin - I love historical fiction - especially historical fiction set on the homefront during World War II or World War I.  This wonderful poignant story about an ordinary young woman who discovers that she can be extraordinary and really make a difference still shows up in my head sometimes several years after reading it.  

What are some of your all time favorite books?

7 comments:

  1. I knew Agatha Christie would make your list ut now you have me wanting to read Montgomery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only ones I have read are the Agatha Christie books.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. So hard to choose top loved books, but you've give a sample of what you really love. I read The Blue Castle because of you and did very much enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Last Bookshop in London.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our book group picked The Westing Game for discussion next year. I should suggest Blue Castle, too. Thanks for sharing your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for letting us get to know you through your favorite books. :-) I wish I could say I have read some of them, but I don't think I have. Not even the Agatha Christie, despite having read quite a few of her books in my younger years.

    ReplyDelete