Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Atmospheric Novels I've Read Recently


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is about Atmospheric books so I'm picking out 10 atmospheric reads I've enjoyed recently.


1.  South of Buttonwood Tree by Heather Webber - I live near where this book is set and not only does the audio narrator do a good job on the accent but the scene is set so vividly that you can almost feel the humidity.

2.  The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley - This takes place in a remote resort in Scotland during a massive snowstorm and it feels like it.  It almost feels claustrophobic to read.

3.  Hotel of Secrets by Diane Biller -  I loved this book and one of the things I loved most was that the hotel felt so real.  You can just feel the buzz of a busy hotel all around you as you read.

4.  An American in Scotland by Lucy Connelly - There's something about a book set in a challenging climate that really makes the setting come alive.

5.  Sleep No More by Jayne Ann Krentz - From sinister hospitals to even more sinister hotels I felt like I was on the run with the main characters.


6.  The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James - St. James is a master of atmospheric reads and this one was one of the best.

7.  Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney - This takes place on an island in a storm and it felt like it!  I could almost hear the wind whipping through the trees.

8.  Shattered Silk by Barbara Michaels - This is one of my favorite Michaels books and I love the ghostly feel of this book.

9.  Madam Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart - There's running through tight alleys and hiding in shadows and I felt like I was right with the characters!

10. Castle Shade by Laurie R. King - How can a book set in Transylvania not be atmospheric?  THis one did not disappoint!

What atmospheric books have you read lately?

6 comments:

  1. I've read Daisy Darker and many other books by Alice Feeney. Lucy Foley writes some great books too, the Hunting Party was good. I just finished a book bby Jo Spain called Dirty Little Secrets and it's set in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've read Daisy Darker, The Hunting Party, Sleep No More, and The Sundown Motel and enjoyed them.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. In some ways I don't pay enough attention to the atmosphere of the setting yet I do love a snow setting and the way you describe each of the settings here makes me think i need to pay more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. St. James is definitely a master of creating atmospheric stories. I love her books and THE SUN DOWN MOTEL is my favorite of hers (although I actually used a different one for my list today). I also loved DAISY DARKER. Its isolated setting is so well depicted!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do enjoy Simone St. James' books! This is a great list, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think I would like South of the Buttonwood Tree? 🤔

    ReplyDelete