Sunday, May 10, 2020

This Week in Reading - May 10


It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:


Murder, She Wrote: The Murder of Twelve by Jessica Fletcher and Jon Land - I'm not sure there's a book that seems more appealing during quarantine then a mystery involving Jessica Fletcher snowed in at a hotel in Maine.  There's murder and other hijinks of course and I think this looks absolutely delightful.  (Publisher)

Grave Consequences by Lena Gregory - I loved previous books involving a psychic with a huge clumsy dog and when I saw this one I couldn't resist it - especially since there is a haunted lighthouse. (NetGalley)

Currently:

Reading:  The Clocks by Agatha Christie and The House that Vanity Built by Nancy Cole Silverman

Listening:  Almost done with A Family of Strangers by Emilie Richards and it is just as good the 2nd time!

Watching:  We are finishing up the 2nd season of City Homicide on Amazon Prime.  It's an Australian crime show that we are really enjoying so far.

Off the Blog:

This pas week was my birthday week and while a bit odd we had a good time.  We had a delicious dinner from one of my favorite restaurants that thankfully was offering curbside and my husband had picked up a selection of cupcakes from one of my favorite bakeries.  We played some Animal Crossing and spent time together and had a good time.

At the end of the week my 10 year old wasn't feeling well (he's fine now - it ended up being mostly seasonal allergy related) and we ended up taking him to the pediatrician.  It was a bit weird as only one person is allowed per patient and we both had to wear masks in public areas and couldn't enter the building until the appointment time.  I'm going to have to find a child sized mask as the N95 contractor masks we had on hand were a bit of a challenge.  We made it work but it's definitely not a long term solution.  Disney has some fun Star Wars ones but they won't ship to July.  We don't have to go out in close quarters very often but this kind of proved we need to have something for him just in case.  Sewing is not an option and I don't really know anyone who could make one so I might have to try Etsy.

I made this lemon bundt cake from Chef in Training and it was so so so good.  I've been craving fruity desserts lately and this definitely fit the bill.

We are now on an official Safer at Home order and more things are opening up though with heavy restrictions.  Salons will be opening up this week which is a huge relief to both my husband and my son as their hair is heading towards 1976 level volume quickly.  Other then that and a dentist appointment we won't be changing anything and will be staying home.  We are expecting my husband to be working from home until at least July if not longer.

On the Blog:

What Happened:

What's Coming Up:

Monday:  Murder on Pleasant Avenue - Historical Mystery Review
Tuesday:  First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros
Wednesday:  The House that Vanity Built - Cozy Mystery Review
Thursday:  Books from the Backlog
Friday:  Friday Fives
Saturday:  Lost Carousel of Provence - Fiction Review

Have a great week and happy reading!

28 comments:

  1. Hope you had a great birthday! And I think Animal Crossing sounds so fun...

    Masks have been a challenge here too although we did find some. I sometimes don't know where eveyone is getting them, although I do actually see Etsy mentioned a lot.

    Glad your husband is able to work from home, that's a plus. Be safe and have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grave Consequences sounds like a lot of fun! I hope you are enjoying your current reads.

    It sounds like you had a nice birthday! But I was sorry to hear your son was sick. I hope he continues to feel better. I got some face masks on Etsy for our family, including my daughter. Some work better than others. I kind of went through a face mask shopping spree trying to find ones that we liked, especially for me since I have to wear one at work.

    I hope you have a good week! Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a good birthday, even if things are a little different at the moment.
    Sorry to hear you son has been sick. I'm glad it 'only' seemed to be allergies. ;)
    Stay safe and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, albeit belatedly. I hope your son is feeling better and I love the idea of Disney masks instead of the ordinary ones we are wearing currently.

    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I am glad your son is feeling better. My allergies are kicking my butt.
    I made a mask with one of our socks, I saw on Facebook and also have a few regular masks. My daughter is fine wearing it but my son (special needs) it's harder to keep on him since he gets irritated by it.

    I hope this week is awesome for you! Stay Safe! Happy Reading! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do want to read A Family of Strangers and The House That Vanity Built. The Jessica Fletcher books are on my list.

    Enjoy your week, and here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday! Glad you had a nice time despite being stuck in. For mask have you tried looking on youtube for the non sewing kind.There are some pretty inventive ones using socks or bandanas and rubber bands. :)

    Stay safe and happy reading!
    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! Such a strange time to have a birthday in- my daughter turned 6 in April. She'd been SO excited all year about a party with all her school friends, but fortunately she took our just-the-four-of-us celebration okay. I'm glad you were able to celebrate with some delicious food and that your son is feeling better. We've got my daughter's checkup at the doctor on Tuesday, so that'll be interesting...

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! Yes nothing is changing for us as things open up; we avoid going out as much as possible. I used to love Angela Lansbury on Murder, She Wrote. But I love mystery stories in general.

    Take care and happy reading!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like a perfect birthday, all things considered. Yeah, the only place we were successful getting masks was etsy. There are a lot there and if you pick the right sellers, the ship quickly. I haven't bought any, but I've seen them for children.

    Wow, he already knows he'll be working from home until at least July?! I wouldn't be surprised if I end up only going it in to collect my things and turn in supplies on June 23rd (my last day), but they haven't yet said anything past this upcoming week really.

    Have a great week and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Katherine. I hope you can get a child-sized mask - the adult-sized ones must be very uncomfortable and I hope he is now feeling a lot better. I hope that coming week is a good one for you all and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you were able to enjoy your birthday, even while staying at home!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can appreciate your experience at the pediatrician. My kids reported almost the same restrictions. We have a woman in our neighborhood making and selling masks for kids cause they really can't wear the adult size. My daughter in law sent me a video of my son cutting their 3 year old's hair ( since all salons are closed) .. he kind of messed up the back (alot) . She put it to the music of " beauty school dropout" .. so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to see what my wife thinks of the lemon bundt cake recipe... it sounds lovely! And happy belated birthday! :)

    I'm gonna wait as long as possible before I try to get my hair cut even when they re-open here, but aahhh I can't help but be a little jealous at the idea of getting my hair cut.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday, Katherine!

    I'm glad your son is OK, and I hope you can find some masks for him. Check out Etsy; there are some people making kid-size masks (though with the handmade fabric ones, you might also try the women's size on him, depending on how long his face is.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like we are opening up at a similar level, but I won't be going far. I don't care if my hair gets long at moment! Straggly I guess if honest. But have been cutting my fringe, I think you guys call it bangs. Enjoy your mystery reading. Your birthday sounds really good despite the lockdown. Hope Mother's Day was equally good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your birthday sounds like a good one even if it was not quite the normal celebration... and happy Mother's Day, too. The bundt cake loos delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm still very much in lockdown and it's been two weeks since I left the house-mostly due to needing someone in the house for packages arriving. I cut my own hair though it isn't the prettiest haircut you ever saw! I'm glad your son is ok-that can give you a bit of a fright. At least you got a great feed for your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you had a good birthday and could get your favorite takeaway foods. What a crazy world we are in now. I saw some cute children's masks on Zazzle, thinking of buying a few for my granddaughter.

    My hair is ridiculous now, I need to put it in a bun. Even if our hairdressers open up in Florida I will still wait a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mysteries sound ideal for this time. I'm glad you are enjoying yours.

    Happy birthday! How lovely that you were able to find some ways to celebrate.

    I'm waiting a few more weeks before I get my hair cut. I really don't want anyone else to get my cough.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday and Mother's Day! Sounds like you all are doing just fine in lockdown. I'm glad.

    I hear you on the haircuts. My 21-year-old cut my 15-year-old's hair into a mullet at the start of quarantine. It's growing out all over - the top is so long now he can put it in a ponytail! We need a barber, stat :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy birthday!

    That Murder, She Wrote does sound like a good one for right now, hope you enjoy it.

    I did a no-sew mask using a bandana, hair bands, and a shoelace. Cheap, easy, and it works. If you want to try, there are videos on YouTube. I watched several before tackling mine.

    Have a good week, and good luck with the soft re-opening!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never read any of the Murder She Wrote books, but I do have this one as an ARC to read. It looks good. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made a couple of no-sew masks for my son from t-shirt sleeves. They work really well. He prefers my stretchy running buff doubled up, though, so I ordered some of the same material yesterday. I can hand sew the seam in the back. 😷

    Happy birthday! Happy to hear you all are okay. Stay safe. 🌞

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy birthday! 🎂 I'm happy to hear you all are okay. 🌞

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am glad that your son is okay. I have the hardest time getting a mask to stay on so I hope you find a solution for your son without too much trouble. Happy belated birthday! I am glad you found a way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I commented but got that sad, computer face. Trying again...
    Glad you had a birthday in a way that made you happy. Glad it was just allergies for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy birthday, Katherine! Hope you are okay.

    ReplyDelete