Sunday, May 24, 2020

This Week in Reading - May 24

It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:


Summer at Lake Haven by RaeAnne Thayne (NetGalley) - I couldn't resist this summery cover or a new Haven Point book by Thayne!

No One Saw by Beverly Long (Publisher)- I really enjoyed the first book of this police procedural series earlier this year so I couldn't pass up on book two.

Thread and Dead by Elizabeth Penney (Publisher) - I have been gobbling up the cozies lately and this looked so fun!

The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart (Bookshop.org) - I have been wanting to read this classic mystery for ages so on my last Bookshop shopping spree I couldn't pass this one up.

Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey (Bookshop.org) - I read this classic mystery years and years ago and have been wanting to reread it for years but always had a tough time finding a copy.  So glad I finally did!

Currently:

Reading: Spider Woman's Daughter by Anne Hillerman, Thunderstruck by Erik Larson, and Summer on Honeysuckle Ridge by Debbie Mason

Listening:  A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman which is a short story and will be done today and then I'll switch over to Caught Dead Handed by Carol J Perry

Watching:  We actually haven't been watching all that much TV but are still enjoying City Homicide which is an Australian police procedural on Amazon Prime.  We just finished the 2nd season and have 2 more to go.  I don't know what we'll watch when this is over!

Off the Blog:

Once again we've been playing a lot of Animal Crossing and are having fun with it.  We still aren't a 5 star island but we are 4 stars and working hard.   The 10 year old is still seriously bossy but we're working on that a bit.

This week I made a family favorite this week - Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Balsamic Pork Tenderloin from Six Sisters Stuff and it was just as good as usual.  I normally only make it in cooler months because it's pretty heavy but it was perfect for the rainy weather we've been having.  If you make it I highly recommend mashed potatoes to go with it.

That's about it.  It was a pretty slow week otherwise with not much going on other then the usual.  The weather has been a bit odd.  Grey and stormy until I decided it was going to be a rainy day and then it'd go back to sunny and vice versa.  

On the Blog:

What Happened:

What's Coming Up:

Monday:  Grave Consequences - Cozy Mystery Edition
Tuesday:  Top Ten Tuesday - Agatha Christie Opening Lines
Wednesday:  Summer on Honeysuckle Ridge - Contemporary Romance Review
Thursday:  Books from the Backlog 
Friday:  Friday Fives
Saturday:  The Clocks - Classic Mystery Review

Have a great week and happy reading!

24 comments:

  1. I'm liking classic mysteries lately and have a few I want to order. Maybe it's lockdown but the idea of cozy murder mysteries is just appealing lately. And our weather has been weird too. although it warmed up today...

    Hope your reads are good this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep on forgetting that on the other side of the world you are all moving into summer... where her we are getting into our coldest months... I should maybe get myself a nice summer read too, to make it a little warmer around here.

    My post: https://ignorantsouthafrican.wordpress.com/2020/05/23/sunday-post-book-blog-hop-4/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll dig out my Wii and see if I can get it set up and working again. I miss the fun I used to have with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun week, even though it seemed slow for you. I hope you all stay in and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm watching the classic mystery/detective series Adam Dagleish, Inspector Morse and Inspector Lynley now. I would never have found the time at any other time other than now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you're finding fun games with the family and it sounds so unique, I'll have to check it out. this is my first visit to your blog find me on sunday posts @theglobaldig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you are all having fun with the game - I recall when my 10 yr old used to turn dictator whenever we played Monopoly or Cluedo:)). We have been bingeing on Lucifer, recently, which I have loved. I hope the coming week continues to be a peaceful, healthy one, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad y'all are still enjoying Animal Crossing, seems like a fun family activity even if the 10 year old is getting bossy LOL! Hope you have another great week and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love RaeAnne Thayne! I need to get a copy of that one, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got the RaeAnne Thayne book too; I can't wait to read it. As much as I love classic mysteries, I've never been able to get into Brat Farrar, though I really enjoy most of Tey's other mysteries. And I've never read Mary Roberts Rhinehart; I ought to give her mysteries a try.

    Animal Crossing sounds like so much fun... but we don't have a Nintendo, and it seems a bit extreme to get one for one game. And the island one isn't available for iPhone or iPad, which is how I play games. Ah, well...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy RaeAnne Thayne's books. I am also curious about the Debbie Mason. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your week. Stay safe! Here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  12. City Homicide is a good show, if you want to try some others you might like watch Sea Patrol or Rescue: Special Ops.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love mysteries but some of the cozies are too quirky for me. I want a really good mystery. Our weather seemed perfect in March, April and the first half of May: 60-70 with only one day a week of rain. Now all of a sudden we have 5 days of rain and get up to 80 more often.

    Happy reading!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all the books on your list. Enjoy and have a great week. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shhh...the husband got our tween Animal Crossing for her upcoming, 13th birthday in June.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That slow cooker food sounds yummy. I’ve been looking for more stuff to cook during lockdown because I might as well use my time to learn how to cook. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got some great books and I see we both got one book the same. :) Sounds like your having fun playing Animal Crossing, I never got that game but it is a popular one! I am addicted to a game on my phone...lol.

    Stay safe and happy reading!
    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  18. I should get my hands on more classic mysteries since mysteries are my favorite genre. I like slow cooker recipes and yours sounds good. You are the second blogger to mention No One Saw by Beverly Long so I dashed off to NG and requested it. *crosses fingers*

    Have a safe and good week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of interesting books coming in. Wow another one by RaeAnne Thayne.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a big fan of Erik Larson. I hope you are enjoying Thunderstruck.

    That cover on Honeysuckle Ridge looks beautiful. Paradise, really. I miss traveling so much. At least we have our books, right?

    Have a good, safe week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm happy to hear you are all doing well. 👍✨

    We've been having the same weather. It will get sunny and I hurry to get some Instagram photos set up and before I'm done it will be grey and rainy again. 😛

    Have a wonderful new week! 🌞

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have had a lot of rain this past week too. With 3 dogs in and out of the house, I am really over the rain. I asked my daughter what her island on Animal Crossing is and she said it is a 1 star so I guess she has some work to do! I hope you have a great week and enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I cannot resist RaeAnne Thayne either. I hope you enjoy all your new books! Have a great week, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The covers for the books are so pretty. I'm rewatching Downton Abbey and having fun.

    ReplyDelete