Friday, May 29, 2020

Friday Fives - Five Things That Pretty Much Guarantee I'm Going to Read That Book

I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  Michelle over at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life   used to do a Five on Fridays that I always enjoyed and I've seen a few other variations on the theme.  As well I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd give start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. I'm also going to start linking up with Kathryn over at Book Date for her Connect Five.  Today I'm focusing on the positive and listing things in a blurb that will pretty much guarantee I'll be reading that book!  This is a topic I've talked about before but I figure it's a subject that can always be revisited.


1.  A Missing Person - a cold case you say?  Someone disappeared multiple years ago and there has been no sign of them?  Or disappeared recently and there are few clues?  I will be picking that book up!


2.  Discovered Letters/Diary - I remember my very favorite Babysitter's Club book involved one of the girls (Stacy I'm thinking) finding a diary and learning about an old house in town.  My love for this particular trope has not changed.


3.  An Old House - The house can be abandoned, dilapidated or beautifully kept and filled with antiques.  Whatever the state (though I probably prefer the abandoned and dilapidated being brought back to life) if the book features an old house I'm here for it.


4.  A Ghost - I'm a little iffy on paranormal but I absolutely love a book with a ghost element.  This may be another holdover from childhood as I devoured all of the middle grade ghostly fiction I could find but I still love a good ghostly story be it a mystery or other fiction genre.


5.  A Bookish Element - I'm frequently disappointed by books about books but I will always try them.  My favorite thing is when a character in a book is really a reader - not just mentions of them loving books for window dressing but really seems to actively read and relish talking about books.  It always makes for a fun read.

12 comments:

  1. Anything with Paris in it, and then vineyards maybe because both very far away from me will draw me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cold case and a bookish element get me too. I'm also a sucker for found family, close friendships, and psychic elements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all 5 of the things you listed too. I like witches also, mostly. And locked room mysteries. And Gothic elements - like an old house...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read The Next Always and another book from that quartet a while ago...I wanted to read them all. But they were also lost in my move! (I keep saying "lost," but my daughter gave most of my books away!)

    I like the look of A Family of Strangers and A Paris Apartment.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha I'll always try a book about books and like you not always get hooked but I will always give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun topic! And I agree with all 5. I can't resist any of these tropes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The topics of books, baking, and crafts always catch my attention. I've been kinda into modern day romances right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Secret letters and ghosts always seem to grab my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nailed it... i love all of these and will one-click for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, I can agree with all five of these, particularly bookish elements & old houses... Or just houses in general to be honest, when a house is like a focal character all on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My five would be a lot less happier I think-sharks, creatures, dark forests, expeditions....that kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Old houses and ghosts are at the top of my list too, although I don't seem to find many that interest me. 😯

    ReplyDelete