Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Top Ten Tuesday - Favorite Fictional Animal Sidekicks


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is about animals in books so I'm listing my favorite fictional animal sidekicks.  I'm sure I'm leaving about a million animals because there are so many great animal sidekicks in the books I read but I suddenly seem to have forgotten about 95% of them.


1.  The Puffin from Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan - I'm not really a big fan of birds but when I finished this one I was quite convinced that every book should have a puffin sidekick.  I haven't really changed my mind.

2.  Emma from the Tourist Trap Mysteries by Lynn Cahoon - I have a fondness for golden retrievers and while Emma isn't the quirkiest of pets she is just a sweetie and loves running on the beach.

3.  Heathcliff from the Library Lovers Mysteries by Jenn McKinley - Heathcliff is a great dog but really I just adore his name.

4.  Bob from Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie - Bob has a great trick - so great in fact that someone might be trying to frame this poor pup for murder!

5.  Diesel from The Cat in the Stacks Mysteries by Miranda James - I'm not much of a cat person but after reading lots about Diesel I'm quite convinced I need a Maine Coon!


6.  O'Ryan from The Witch City Mysteries by Carol J. Perry - So I said that I'm not really a cat person but that rule doesn't apply to orange cats - or to this cat in particular.  O'Ryan is amazing and may or may not have been a witch's familiar.

7.  Elvis from The Second Chance Cat Mysteries by Sofie Ryan - Another cat I'm going to have break my rule for because not only does Elvis have a great personality but he has a built in lie detector and that just sounds incredibly useful.

8.  Matterhorn (or Mattie for short) by from A Year Round Christmas Mysteries by Vicki Delany - Mattie is an absolutely enormous galumph of a dog and never fails to make me smile!

9.  Any animal in any book written by Jill Shalvis - It's been awhile since I read a Jill Shalvis so no specific name is coming to mind but she has never written an animal side kick that I didn't immediately fall in love with!

10. Smoky Joe from The Haunted Library Mysteries by Allison Brook - Okay another exception to the cat rule but I can't make a list of animal sidekicks and leave Smoky Joe out.  He's adorable and opinionated and I sincerely wish my library had a cat!

What are some of your favorite animal sidekicks?

9 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine! Bob is my favorite dog ever. I really want to have a Bob. But my husband loves his Labrador Retrievers, I don't see Bob entering our lives any time soon.

    You only have a fondness for orange cats??????????? And what about me??? I'm the most adorable WHITE cat you will ever come across. Please be fond of me too.

    Just joking! Lovely list you have here!

    Hope you are feeling better. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list, Katherine! I had totally forgotten about Bob, but yes, he's darling (and also darling in the David Suchet adaptation.) And Emma from the Tourist Trap mystery series; she's a great dog. I'm down for any library cat, especially after reading about Dewey. And I have a thing for puffins, so you may just have sold me on The Little Beach Street Bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love animal sidekicks. One of my favorites is Oberon in the Iron Druid Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love books with animals in them. A few of these I haven't read yet. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not that fond of having animal pets around but I love them in books. The Puffin was wonderful and I like Elvis too! Any animal really in a book and yes to the Jill Shalvis ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a cat as a child named Smokey Joe. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, all books should have a puffin sidekick! And are you sure that you are not a cat person because you are making exceptions for a lot of cats here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post so much!! And the puffin from the Jenny Colgan book made me want a puffin friend too!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems like an animal companion is a requirement for a cozy mystery. I've run into some fun ones!

    ReplyDelete