Monday, October 17, 2016

Rambling from the Stacks - What I'm Looking for in a Book




















One of my favorite podcasts right now is What Should I Read Next? from Anne Vogel over at Modern Mrs. Darcy.  One of the things she does before giving reading suggestions is ask each visitor to list 3 books they loved, 1 book they hated, and what they're reading next.  After that she kind of does a quick summary based off all that on what she thinks they're looking for in a book.  I'm so in love with the concept and it's really gotten me thinking - What am I looking for when it comes to a book?

A few months ago I did this post about certain themes that always seem to draw me in and the few that repel me but those are specific topics and not the general theme which is what Anne normally focuses on.  So I've been looking over my Read list on Goodreads and going over some old posts about favorites to try and answer that question.

For me when it comes to picking the perfect book I'm looking for something with a historical element and either strong character growth or a fast moving plot.  I'm looking for a book that will teach me something and pull me into it's world so I'm not just reading I'm actually seeing the story unfold.  I like books that make me use my brain and teaches me something new but doesn't make me feel like I'm reading a textbook.

I'm not looking for a book centering around a hot button or controversial topic.  I don't like books that feel like they have the author is writing with an agenda or is lecturing me.  I don't want a book that feels like it is trying to make me cry

While I don't expect all action all the time I do want to feel like the book has a full story arc even if everything isn't tied up in a neat little bow.  I prefer books that aren't stream of consciousness writing or an open ended snapshot of someone's life or experience.

This year I've been trying to read out of my comfort zone with some success and I think knowing what I'm really looking for in a book will really help me step outside my usual box but still be able to choose a book that I'll enjoy or get a lot out of.

Big picture, what are you looking for in a book?



14 comments:

  1. Great topic! I like a good story, but I need good writing to accompany it. It's a real treat when I have to stop and marvel at an especially well-crafted or insightful sentence! Have found I can even love a book where not much happens ( a good character study, for example) if the writing is good enough

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with JoAnn, this is another good topic, I very much enjoyed that post where you wrote about magic words. This is another one that is thought provoking. I think I will check my stacks on the coffee table here and then look at my Goodreads list before I answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Now I have a new podcast to try. I'm a librarian, and Readers' Advisory (what Anne is doing in the podcast, I think) is a common thing. When a kid asks me for recommendations, I always ask them what are some books they've read lately that they liked. It's such a good place to figure out where to start. Although sometimes it's difficult to get kids to know what they like. Sometimes it even helps if they can tell me movies or tv shows they like, too.

    I'm a pretty big eclectic reader. I read a lot of different kinds of books. I always love a book with humor. And lately I always want some romance (that wasn't always the case). I also like for the hero of the hero of the story to be nice. I'm a bit over the asshole hero. I'm much more drawn to character driven novels, though.

    I love this post, and I'm SO EXCITED to try out a new podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I need to listen to this podcast. Second I think the things I like and look for in a book is something that moves along at a good pace. Slow books are something I cannot stand.Good complex characters are also great. I just want to be entertained. If I can learn something that is a bonus. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, a big one for me is a full story arc. I'm fine with series and continuations, and even cliffhangers occasionally, but I like there to be at least some resolution to the plot points. If nothing is resolved I'm irritated. :) I like a historical and/ or a fantasy element usually as well, or if it's a mystery it almost has to be historical or have a paranormal flair, although I like cozies too so that's not always the case. :)

    Character growth too is always good.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy that podcast too, I think I picked it up from a post you shared some of the podcasts you listen to. I usually don't have much in common with the readers choices but still fun and fascinating. I like character development, great plot and action although can read slow moving and enjoy it. I like a book that opens me to experiences I have never had and one that makes me think about issues. I also like just a jolly good pleasure read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I subscribe to Modern Mrs. Darcy's blog but don't listen to podcasts.
    I like the way you narrowed down what you like to read, not just the actual genres, but the content.

    I am happy with either a well done character study or a well-crafted plot that has a B-M-E arc, and tells a good story--that could be a suspenseful one that gets my pulse racing; or a story that informs me of cultures, families, regions, eras in time etc, that I didn't know before; or a classic mystery in which I have to exercise my brain muscle to recognize clues and put them together.

    So while mysteries and suspense are my go-to, I'll read a contemporary "women's" fiction if it has good characterization, or even one of those epic generations-sweeping sagas, if I learn about a decade in history or a certain state or country from it. Mindless fluff that I've seen a million times before bores me, and usually is put aside. Doesn't mean I don't read for just plain fun-- every book has a purpose-- but then again it will have to engage me in some manner to make me keep going, for instance a light cozy has to be either humorous, have a mystery to figure out, or tell me about a craft I'm willing to learn about. Thanks for a fun discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a great question. I really don't know. I know what don't like. I guess my thoughts would be about what I am not looking for in a book. This is a wonderful post and it has me thinking now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have these reading trends it seems like I am so hooked on cozy mysteries, but also any mystery and horror. I don't do general fiction or books with flowery words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic topic. I tend to read everything from historical to futuristic. I love books that weave in some kind of fascinating facts, or create a new world entirely. I also love fun, laugh aloud romances and sometimes heated, passionate ones. I love mysteries and crime novels, dark, gritty and even horror. I love books on hot topics, but shy away from truly sad books with death etc I want to escape when I read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like reading all over the genres but prefer at least some romance in it. I'm with you on hot button topics. It takes a REAL talent to address an issue and not come off preachy/lecture-ish. I've really been turned off by a couple authors after they started doing that. Sometimes even with topics I agree with. I just don't like that vibe that comes with them :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great question:). I love a strong story, presenting me with an imaginative take on deep-seated human conditions by placing them within unusual fantastic or future worlds. And there has to be an interesting, nuanced character at the heart of this story... I don't mind a slight romantic element, but I don't want that to be the driving force of the story as I feel that slice of human behaviour has been written about to the extent that it is often rather predictable and the one thing I don't want is to feel I know what is going to happen next...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting question! I am really just looking to be entertained when I pick up a book. I have learned over the years that I am entertained by a wide range of topics but I tend to stick to fiction. I have to agree with you that I do not want to be lectured to while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you've really given this a lot of thought and gotten yourself to a good place where you'll know what to look for. I'm never sure so much what I'm looking for so much as what I'm not looking for.

    ReplyDelete