Friday, October 28, 2016

Friday Linkups: Bunnicula















It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question:
You've been invited to a costume party and the theme is classic literature characters.  Who would you go as?

My Answer:
Even though Great Expectations is far from my favorite book I'd love to go as Miss Havisham.  Second place would be Anne from Anne of Green Gables.

This week's book is one that I was completely unaware of for far too long.  Bunnicula by Deborah and James Howe was published in 1979 and so was around when I was growing up but I completely missed this hilarious and quirky story of a rather suspicious looking bunny, Harold the dog, and Chester the cat.  Luckily, Stormi over at Books, Movies, Reviews! Oh My! is very aware of it and I was fortunate enough to win a copy in a giveaway last year.  This year I've been reading it as a bedtime book to the Tornado (age 6) and he's been loving it.  It's perfect to get a good taste of Halloween without getting too scary.

The Beginning:
I shall never forget the first time I laid these now tired old eyes on our visitor.  I had been left home by the family with the admonition to take care of the house until they returned.  That's something they always say to me when they go out: "Take care of the house, Harold.  You're the watchdog."

My Thoughts:
I love that the narrator is a dog and I love that it's not really apparent until it explicitly says that he's the watchdog!

The 56:
There was Chester, with Mr. Monroe's towel draped across his back and tied under his neck like a cape.  That was strange enough, but on his face was an expression that sent chills down my spine.

My Thoughts:
I feel the need to point out that Chester is a cat and I absolutely love the mental image of a cat with a cape around his neck.  The chilling expression isn't too hard to picture though!

So what do you think?  Keep reading?  What are your favorite Halloween books?

27 comments:

  1. Oh my... that's a very scary looking rabbit! And a cat with a cape- sounds cute! Although that bunny... yikes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Bunnicula! I read it to my kids when they were little, and all the sequels. Fun books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be looking for the rest of the books! This was such fun!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE BUNNICULA!!!! Yes, I had to write that in all caps. I didn't read this book as a child either, even though it was around then. I read it for my children's lit class I took in Library School and fell so in love. I recommend it to kids all the time at my library, and they always love it. I don't even like books about animals that much, but Bunnicula is special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised by how much I liked it. I definitely agree that it's special.

      Delete
  4. Sounds adorable! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your reading. Here's mine: “THE RED CAR”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read this series but it was loved by students at my first teaching job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read this one and for the first time this year. It's a series I'm looking forward to reading more of.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of this book before, but it does look interesting. Thanks for mentioning it! I'm going to add this one to my goodreads TBR

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't stop laughing. From the cover to the title, OMG! How cute! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's so fun! The cover cracks me up too. I love the spooky looking bunny.

      Delete
  8. One of my favorites as a child!!!! :) Love Bunnicula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the giveaway! We've really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  9. Sebastian LOVED the Bunnicula books! I have no idea how many times we borrowed them from the library. A new one came out in 2006 and I have been meaning to check it out at the library to read it myself. Ha ha. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I didn't realize that one had come out that recently. Unless the quality has taken a huge hit it's definitely worth reading!

      Delete
  10. Bunnicula. I forgot all about this silly book (series?) Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it's a series! I'm looking forward to reading more.

      Delete
  11. I don't like the cover. I do like the beginning. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It escaped my childhood too. But it looks like a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anne of Green Gables would be a nice costume.

    Have a good weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  14. Miss Havisham would be creepy, but I think you'd look adorable as Anne. I read Bunnicula as a kid. Did you know they made it into a cartoon series? My kids watch it from time to time, but it's nothing like the books.

    ReplyDelete