Friday, October 7, 2016

Friday Linkups: The Graveyard Book















It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question
Name one book that scared you so badly that you couldn't finish reading it?

My Answer:
Hmmm... I can't think of a book that scared me so bad that I couldn't finish reading it though Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell did get the status of daytime only reading if I wanted to sleep at night!  I haven't done much scary reading lately though I have a few in the stack coming up that I'm hoping will earn that title.

This week's book is one I'm hoping will give me the creeps (though probably not over the top because it is technically a children's book) and I've been wanting to read Neil Gaiman for ages.  So when I found a gorgeous copy of The Graveyard Book I knew it was a sign that now was the time.  I haven't gotten very far but I have high hopes.

The Beginning:  
The knife had a handle of polished black bone, and a blade finer and sharper than any razor.

My Thoughts:
Well then!  I'm thinking the knife is not going to be used for some mundane purpose with that kind of description!

The 56:
The inside of Bod's head felt as if it were filled with cobwebs, and he shook it, trying to clear it.  Then he squeezed Scarlett's hand.  "We should go," he said.

My Thoughts:
I'm not here yet so I have no idea what's going on but I'm betting leaving is a good idea!

So what do you think?  Keep reading?

22 comments:

  1. Ooh I like this topic, although I don't read that many scary books (or at least not the really bad ones) :) I've never read Gaiman either although everyone says to. That is a good beginning although I think you're right- sounds like bad news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read a lot of creepy books but I don't think I have ever not finished one because it was too scary. The Graveyard Book sounds interesting!! Can't wait to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am already frightened by the possibilities...but I hope you love it. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “A MAP OF THE WORLD”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read one of Gaiman's books, Coraline, and I liked it a lot. So, The Graveyard Book seems like one I would enjoy. I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so many wonderful things about this author, but I haven't read any of his books yet. The Graveyard Book sounds like a good place to start.
    My Friday post features The Songbird’s Call.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy this one. I tried it and couldn't get into it. Mine is from a cute middle grade mystery - Friday Barnes Under Suspicion by
    R. A. Spratt
    . Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katherine,

    I have never read a book I couldn't finish because it was too scary, although when I was younger I used to love a good horror film, the more gruesome the better, but I find that these days I will quite happily change channels and watch something with a bit more family appeal.

    Even though I have been known to read the odd YA book, I can't say that Neil Gaiman is an author I want to read. I can imagine that this book would appeal to a wide ranging YA audience though, especially with Halloween coming up.

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this book so much. It's perfect for Halloween. I hope you enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son just got me to order this one! I have a feeling we'll be fighting over who gets to read it first. LOL

    My Friday 56 from The Appeal Of Evil

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love The Graveyard Book. Maybe I should reread it. Scary but not scary. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do scare easy so never stopped reading anything. :) Not read The Graveyard Book so I hope you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm ashamed to say that I have not read this book. It's on the TBR though. It sounds really good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read anything by Neil Gaiman yet - this does sound good though and it does sound like a special knife - or at least a knife not to be used for eating....lol...here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scary isn't for me....Stephen King is the one scary author I WILL NOT read.

    I hope you are enjoying your evening.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  15. ^ She is nuts to snub Stephen King books...
    Anyway, that Neil Gaiman book looks cute. What a perfect time to read it too! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to read The Graveyard Book! It'll be my first Gaiman book and I'm so excited; I've only heard great things about his writing! Happy reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree - but is there ever a bad time to read a Neil Gaiman book? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never heard of "Postmortem", but the title sounds too ominous for me! Ditto for "The Graveyard Book". I think I'll check this one out on Goodreads to see if I could possibly handle it, as I've been wanting to read his work for some time, too. He's supposed to be great! On the other hand, I don't like that first sentence at all!! I might have to add him to my list of writers to be avoided, which is headed by Stephen King!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my own BBH post!! Hope you're having a WONDERFUL Sunday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. YES! It is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great! Hope you love it! :)

    Check out my Friday Linkups.

    ReplyDelete