Friday, October 21, 2016

Friday Linkups: The Woman in White















It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question:
Instead of giving out candy to trick-or-treaters, you're going to give out homemade bookmarks.  What would the bookmarks look like?

My Answer:
I think I'd use a picture of Nancy Drew with her magnifying glass.  I love the look of the Nancy Drew illustrations and it's kind of Hallween-y.

This week's book is The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.  This is one of those books that I really have no idea why I haven't read it yet or why it took so long to get on my radar.  Going in I knew nothing about it other which added an extra bit of fun!

The Beginning: 
This is the story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's resolution can achieve.

My Thoughts:
Hmmm.... Not sure what I was expecting but this wasn't it.  It seems a little more "classic" than I expected.  Also, I wonder what the woman here is enduring.  It doesn't sound like anything good!

The 56:
Our morning meal - once so full of pleasant good-humoured discussion of the plans for the day - was short and silent.

My Thoughts:
Things definitely don't sound like they are going well - maybe it's all the enduring that the Woman at the beginning was doing?

So what do you think?  Keep reading?






20 comments:

  1. I think I tried this book a while back and I didn't finish it. I wanted to, but maybe it wasn't the right time for me to try this book. You know, we all get in certain moods for certain genres at one time or another. At that time, this wasn't floating my boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh good answer. When I was a kid if I got a Nancy Drew (or Hardy Boys or whatever) bookmark I'd be all set- forget the candy! lol though not all kids would agree. That is kind of an iconic image of Nancy though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me a while to get used to the language in The Woman in White, and the beginning is a little slow, but it's a great story if you can get into it a little more. I remember enjoying Collins' The Moonstone even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that endurance has to try her patience some time! I've never read The Woman in White although I do have a copy of it. I've heard great things about it.
    Here's my Friday Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read this one forever--it is considered one of the top mysteries of all time. I do like the opening (sounds almost Dickensian to me) and the 56. Will look forward to hearing what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I'm not sure as looking at the cover is not luring me in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a book to read when there's plenty of time to get into it. The opening doesn't grab me, but it does pique my curiosity.
    My Friday post features The Midwife of Hope River.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've heard of this one. I hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this one before. I hope you enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy Drew bookmarks? Sounds GREAT to me!! I would love to get some of those!

    Your choice of book for this week is one that I was vaguely familiar with. So, I looked it up on Goodreads. When I noticed that one of the categories it's placed in is "horror", that was it for me! I'm much too chicken to read horror novels. Lol. It's supposed to be a masterpiece, though, so I do hope you like it!

    Thanks for sharing! Happy Friday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pick for a bookmark!! I am not familiar with this book. I will have to check it out - Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nancy Drew bookmarks would be fun. GREAT idea.

    Thanks for sharing, and have a good weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of this one before, sadly. Sounds good. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always wanted to read this one but haven't yet. Are you enjoying it?

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would keep reading. For some reason I thought this was going to be The Woman In White like the movie. I loved that movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd want one of those bookmarks. :-) Sounds like a great idea. I loved The Woman in White and hope you like it too, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I even own a copy of this and I still haven't read it either...

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's an interesting book. In an era when no was addressing the scourge of domestic abuse and marital unhappiness - this book was brave and groundbreaking, even if we don't like the way the subject is treated.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed Woman in White. As sjhigbee said above it took on some issues that no one would during that time period and was a really good mystery to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been considering reading The Woman in White for halloween as it would also fit my dust off your classics challenge. I don't really know what's its about but hopefully you'll end up enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete