The Broke and the Bookish is 10 things that will make me instantly want to read a book. While there are bunches of different things that will make me want to read a book I'm sticking with plot points for this list. These are the 10 things that if I see mentioned about a book can pretty much guarantee it's going to end up on my TBR.
2. A catastrophe that pushes the main character into a situation where they have to figure out what they really want to do - Lose your job? Someone dies and you have to go take care of their house? Long time boyfriend breaks up with you by text? I'm so on board with this! I love when a character has to take a break from their regular life for whatever reason (except for death of a child - not a fan of that one) and it forces them to realize what they really want.
4. Solving an old mystery - While restoring the old house did you find a packet of letters? A journal? A matchbook with a phone number? A photograph? Anything that makes you want to find the real story or a person involved? I am along for the ride!
5. A ghost - I can't resist a ghost story! Basically if you take a haunted old house in Ireland that the main character has inherited after a losing their job and then they find a packet of old letters it's pretty much going to be my book of the year.
7. An ensemble cast - I love an ensemble cast in any kind of book. Anytime a group of people band together to accomplish anything I very rarely can resist. These can be a little hit or miss as often an ensemble cast has different POVs and while those can be amazing in the right hands they can also be pretty awful if done incorrectly.
8. Books about books or with bookish characters - This includes fiction or nonfiction but if books play an important role I'll be picking that book up. I love books where the characters are readers. It adds an extra element of kinship.
9. A Grandmother/Grandchild relationship - it may be because my own relationship with my grandmother is very special that I'm always drawn to books where that relationship is so important.
10. A Treasure Hunt - I love a good treasure hunt or puzzle type story! This is something that spans so many genres - mystery, middle grade, science fiction - just about anything you can think of and I love them all! If the plot sounds like the main characters are going to be spending their time racing around solving riddles for a greater goal you can count me in!.
What makes you instantly want to read a book?