Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Somebody's Baby - Contemporary Romance Review

Somebody's Baby (Darling Vermont #3) by Donna Alward

Rating: Loved it!
Source: Publisher

Description: Veterinarian Rory Gallagher chose a different path from his brothers, both of whom became first responders in the lovely little town of Darling, Vermont. Rory's always had an affinity for animals--and the ladies. Known for his impressive track record in breaking hearts, Rory never meant to hurt anyone; he's just never been in a hurry to settle down. It's not as if he needs to pay a visit to the town's famed Kissing Bridge to magically find love. He'll know The One when he sees her. . .right?
Oaklee Collier is the kid sister of Rory's best friend--and, even now that she's all grown up, remains immune to the pet-doctor's charms. When she shows up at Rory's clinic late one night--devastated after hitting a stray dog with her car--Rory's so-called -bedroom eyes- are the last thing on her mind. Still, his care and kindness toward the dog, and his concern for her feelings, catches Oaklee by surprise. . .and soon the two (and rescued dog makes three!) begin to share a deep connection that neither could have ever imagined. Could it be that love has been waiting for them by the bridge all along?

Genre: Romance - Contemporary

Why I Picked This Book: I'm a big fan of Donna Alward and I've loved the frist two in this series.  I couldn't wait to learn Rory and Oaklee's story.

My Impression: Oh I loved this one!  I really liked the first book, Somebody Like You, and while I had a few quibbles I also enjoyed the second book Someone to Love but something about this one just really clicked with me.

I loved Oaklee.  In the previous books she had come off as a little shallow and always put together but we quickly see there's a lot more going on below the surface.  Oaklee has some baggage that is affecting her life in ways that even she doesn't fully understand.   She's struggling to find her footing as an independent adult and is starting to realize that things aren't the way she wants them.  She's resistant to the idea of a relationship of any kind but just as I would start to get annoyed with her stubbornness she'd have some kind of break through realization or give herself a talking too and I found myself rooting for her even more.  Rory was a little harder to click with. I liked him - pretty much everyone likes him but I never felt like I really knew him.  I did love how kind he was to animals and how he did really seem to care for Oaklee I just wanted a little more heart from him.

It was really fun to visit Darling again.  I loved checking in with the Gallagher family and the town of Darling as a whole.  Every character I meet I find myself wanting to learn their back story.  I especially enjoyed that it's not painted as perfect.  There are times when Oaklee mentions that it feels claustrophobic having everyone know everything about her and there is some talk about businesses having to struggle or work extra hard - especially during non-tourist time.

While this can be read as a stand alone I think you should probably read at least Someone to Love first.  There is some overlap in the two books and we seen scenes from the 2nd book in the 3rd but told from Rory and Oaklee's perspective.

I really love this series and every book has been enjoyable.  I'm hoping we will get another visit to Darling, VT soon or at least another Gallagher story!  If you enjoy a contemporary romance along the lines of Emily March or RaeAnne Thayne with a little more spice than this is a series you shouldn't miss!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Absolutely!  It feels like a visit to old friends!

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Definitely!  If you enjoy a good contemporary romance this is one not to miss!

8 comments:

  1. I seriously need to get reading this series. And just more books by Donna Alward. I've only read The House on Blackberry Hill and a novella from the same series. I'm so glad that you loved this one, even if you wanted a bit more from Rory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try this author. I love Thayne's books so I think I'll like Alward's. Thanks for telling us about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to try to read Donna Alward. This sounds like my kind of series with such a nice town. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love when a character I thought was shallow ends up having a lot more going on. I always like her covers. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how wonderful you loved this one. I bought the first one just recently and have put it into my calendar to read towards the end of the month. Very excited now that you loved the #3 one, so promising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like such a sweet book! I have a soft spot for animal lovers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know, I don't think I have read this author. I love these type of small-town series Katherine. I need to add it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also really enjoyed this book. It was my first by the author.

    ReplyDelete