Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Any Day Now - Contemporary Romance Review

Any Day Now (Sullivan's Crossing #2) by Robyn Carr

Rating: Very Good
Source: Publicist

Description:  For Sierra Jones, Sullivan's Crossing is meant to be a brief stopover. She's put her troubled past behind her but the path forward isn't yet clear. A visit with her big brother Cal and his new bride, Maggie, seems to be the best option to help her get back on her feet.
Not wanting to burden or depend on anyone, Sierra is surprised to find the Crossing offers so much more than a place to rest her head. Cal and Maggie welcome her into their busy lives and she quickly finds herself bonding with Sully, the quirky campground owner who is the father figure she's always wanted. But when her past catches up with her, it's a special man and an adorable puppy who give her the strength to face the truth and fight for a brighter future. In Sullivan's Crossing Sierra learns to cherish the family you are given and the family you choose.

Genre: Romance - Contemporary

Why I Picked This Book:  Robyn Carr is an author I really need to read more from and I loved the sound of this one.

My Impression:  I enjoyed my first visit to Sullivan's Crossing so much and loved Sierra right away.  She's fought some of her demons but there is still more fighting to be done and she's still running from her past.  She's reluctant to get to attached to those around her but at the same time desperately wants to belong.  I loved watching her start to relax and start to enjoy being part of a community.  Her relationship with Sully was so special and funny.  They weren't related but they may as well have been.  I liked her relationship with Moody as well as their discussions on sobriety.  But honestly, my favorite was the relationship between Molly and Sierra.  It was just pure joy.

The romance between Connie and Sierra was slow building and sweet.  I loved how honest Connie was about his past and his feelings.  He didn't press Sierra for more and he didn't get mad even though he knew she wasn't telling him everything.  But somehow at the same time he didn't fall into Too Good to Be True territory.  He just came off as a good guy who respected and cared for those around him.  He does have some issues but he's upfront about them and there was one scene with his mother which was just a treat.

Carr does a fantastic job of creating the feel of a community around the story of the main couple.  We see quite a lot of Sully and his friends and hear their stories as well as getting to see more of Cal (Sierra's brother) and his new wife and Sully's daughter, Maggie.  There is also a lovely subplot around Tom, Cal's carpenter, and his long time friend Lola that was so sweet.  This is the second book in the the Sullivan's Crossing series but I had no problem starting here though now I really want to read the first book.   I thoroughly enjoyed this read and can't wait for my next visit to Sullivan's Crossing!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Absolutely!  I'm hoping to get to the first book in the series soon and am looking forward to book #3.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Definitely!  This is a great read for fans of contemporary romance and women's fiction.

11 comments:

  1. I need to read Robyn Carr again, I used to read a lot of her books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read anything by Robyn Carr, but this might be a good series to start. But the blurb mentions a puppy! I need to know about the puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't this wonderful. For the first time since Virgin River I really felt that connection I enjoy with her small town tales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new author for me. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to visit Sullivan's Crossing now. I like slow building romances and the two main characters sound like characters I would like to get to know. Plus, a puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the first book and really liked this one, and yes loved Molly and Sierra! Enjoy the first book too I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love Robyn Carr's books, but I haven't read this series yet. I always like to start with book #1 but it's good to know that it wasn't a problem for you to start with the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently downloaded this one, and hope to read it very soon. I loved my first visit to Sullivan's Crossing in the last book. Thanks for sharing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried Carr but I really should! I do love a sweet slow burning romance and it's hard to resist a good community feel to the setting. Glad you enjoyed this! Lovely review, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the first book in this series on hold. I just loved Robyn Carr's Virgin River series. I need to get back to reading more by her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've really enjoyed her books over the years but it's been a while. Woots for this one being awesome!

    ReplyDelete