Sunday, April 30, 2017

This Week in Reading - April 30


It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:

Love and Death in Burgundy by Susan C. Shea - This new cozy series centers an ex-pat couple living in the Burgundy region of France.  There's a dead villager and lots and lots of secrets.  It looks like a great mystery and I love the setting.  (Publisher)

Something Like Happy by Eve Woods - Anna Hebden is stuck.  She's unhappy with her life, unhappy with where she's landed and is just trying to keep her head down and exist.  Until she meets Polly Leonard who is determined to bring Anna into the land of the living.  This starts a 100 day journey around 100 ways to be happy.  I love books about happiness and friendship and this sounds really fun but with a lot of heart too.  (Publicist)





Currently:

Reading:  Hidden Threads by Liz Trenow, Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (it's slow going but so good) and I Hate Everyone Except You by Clinton Kelly

Listening:  I'm finishing up The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.  I thought that I had read it earlier but as I've listened I'm pretty sure I haven't.  I may have seen a sanitized version in play form but I'm pretty sure I've never read the book.  

Watching:  I've been watching Disappeared on Investigation Discovery which is about missing people but after a series of rather unpleasant dreams I've decided to give that a break.  Now I'm catching up on Elementary which is a show I forget how much I like until I'm actually watching it.  Also, I'm thrilled Doctor Who is back.  I think this new companion has a lot of potential and I feel like the Doctor seems more relaxed in the role this season.

Off the Blog:

I'm out of town this weekend visiting my grandparents so I won't be around too much for the next few days.  I'm not sure how relaxing it will be but I am hoping to get some reading done since I won't have the Tornado with me.

School is rapidly coming to a close here (less than a month to go) and I'm desperately trying to figure out something to do with the Tornado.  I do want some days where we really aren't doing anything but too much of that isn't good for either of us.  I know I need to start figuring out a routine ahead of time or we'll go crazy.  If you have school age children how do you stay sane during summer break?

On the Blog:

What Happened:



What's Coming Up:

Monday: Reviews from the Children's Section - Virginia Mysteries 1 and 2
Tuesday: 10 Covers That Will Make Me Read or Not Read a Book
Wednesday:  Murderous Mayhem at Honeychurch Hall - Cozy Mystery Review
Thursday: TBD
Friday: Friday Linkups with Current Book
Saturday: TBD

Have a great week and happy reading!

21 comments:

  1. Oh what a cool cover on Love & Death in Burgundy. And I've never read or listened to Huck Finn but I did read Tom Sawyer as a kid and really liked it (I remember liking the movie also). I should give Huck Finn a try at some point... and yes summer break is so fun with the constant refrain of "I'm bored" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and Death in Burgundy looks very tempting. The setting sounds lovely, and I'm always up for a good cozy.

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I enjoying Peter more as The Doctor this season too. I always enrolled my son in summer school (fun age appropriate kind) or found local "camps". They were usually science based fun stuff like building rockets and experiments. You may want to ask the school, city, library, or other places like that if they know if there's anything like that near you. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I've ever read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn either but I feel like it's a story I know well - I wonder if that would be the case if I read it? Enjoy your weekend away. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the Clinton Kelly book. I agree about the summer with kids. I have them in a half day camp three days a week. They love to be around other kids and doing lots of stuff I don't have the pateince for. Then we have two days and the weekends to just hang out and what not. Have a great trip to your grandparents and have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the cover for Love and Death in Burgundy. The only show I've been watching lately is The Blacklist. I've been looking for a new series to binge watch on Netflix. My friend is Doctor Who obsessed! She absolutely loves everything about it. She has a tardis in her house and everything. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something Like Happy by Eve Woods sounds like my kind of book, as I'm a sucker about any book with a happiness theme. Enjoy your few days away :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're enjoying The Grapes of Wrath. I tried reading Huckleberry Finn at school but just couldn't get on with it. We, too, are enjoying the new series of Dr Who. Have a great week, especially your break. My Sunday Post - https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2017/04/30/sunday-post-30th-april-2017/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cover on that new cozy! That is the fort of cover that makes me want to read s book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those both sound good! My class is coming to an end quick and I am excited and kind of bummed cause it has been fun. Hope I can remember everything I learned.

    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Mark Twain on audio must be nice. I remember devouring them as a child. Loving all the new cozy mysteries. We are happy Dr. Who is back, and have started watching Class as well. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I admire you for reading some strong literary fiction in The Grapes of Wrath. I think when we read books we may or may not have read as children it does seem very new and fresh, which is great. Hope your grandparents visit goes/went well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a lovely time at your grandparents'. Oh boy, my girls have math class this summer for about the first month of summer. It's not too early or too late, but I'll have to figure out how to work out, something I'm grumbling about.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope your trip turned out to be a good one and not too stressful. Good luck with summer plans!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy reading the classic books now that I'm older. When I was young, it felt like torture. Probably because we were forced to read them. Have a lovely weekend and hope you get to read some good books.

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still haven't had the chance to watch any of the new Doctor Who episodes! We keep having friends over on Saturdays, lol.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My parents both worked when I was a kid, so I was other plopped off to various relatives or enrolled in a million summer camps all summer long! But I didn't really mind, I was one of those "I'm boooooooored" kids, so it was good to keep me busy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My daughter will be on summer break very soon but she is in high school and so busy she really won't get much of a break. When she was in grade school, I remember doing a lot of the library activities that they have over the summer. We also went to the free movie days, packed picnics and went to the park, and found lots of new parks to explore. We didn't have a lot of extra money at the time so I needed to find fun and cheap or free things to do. We stayed pretty busy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is one of my favorites. This is the only book I own multiple copies of. Does your public library have summer programs for kids? Mine did. I remember doing a few different things, and it was like once a week. Maybe some science projects at home?

    ReplyDelete
  20. We did library summer programs which Baz liked so much he went back and was a teen volunteer for two summers. I liked the library programs because I could hang out reading while they were doing their projects, so I was with him, but not really. Ha ha. And he started the summer theater when he was ten, but the ages started at six. I volunteered as a monitor, so I got to hang around there, too, but sometimes I ran errands. He did summer soccer skills camp one summer, too. At home we just did the normal stuff. I hope you had a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love and Death in Burgundy looks great. Sounds like a great pick for a weekend read. I totally forgot about Elementary ... I need to add that to my viewing list.

    ReplyDelete