Friday, April 7, 2017

Friday Linkups: Evil Under the Sun














It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question:
If you could meet one author, dead or alive, who would it be?

My Answer:
This was an easy one!  Hands down no question it'd be Agatha Christie.  Not only is she the author of my favorite books (and coincidentally the book I'm featuring today) but she is a fascinating woman with her wartime experience, her archaeology, and her mysterious disappearance early in her career.  Topics of conversation are endless.

This week's book is an old favorite - Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie.  I love seeing Hercule Poirot completely out of his element and I"m not sure he's more out of his element than when he is at the beach.  Shiny shoes, perfect symmetry, and beautifully waxed and maintained mustaches don't fare well among the sand and salt.  Plus, his general confusion and why the English are always so busy trying to fling themselves into freezing water or lie roasting on the sand is pretty funny too.  It doesn't hurt that this is also a very good mystery.

The Beginning:
When Captain Roger Angmering built himself a house in the 1782 on the island off Leathercombe Bay, it was thought the height of eccentricity on his part.  A man of good family such as he was should have had a decorous mansion set in wide meadows with, perhaps, a running stream and good pasture.


My Thoughts:
It always seems like particularly grand buildings or something in an especially gorgeous setting starts off with an eccentric creator.  Not the most captivating of intros but I do love the idea of Captain Angmering doing what he wants despite what convention says.

The 56:
Hercule Poirot replied to the Chief Constable's greeting in a suitable manner.  He murmured: "Ah, yes, many years have passed since that affair at St. Loo."

My Thoughts:
This is about the only mention of the fact that Poirot has appeared in other earlier books.  While it is technically a series it's only linked through Poirot himself and the publishing time line isn't even chronological.  If you've been wanting to try Poirot but haven't don't be scared to jump in anywhere!

So what do you think?  Keep reading?

22 comments:

  1. I knew your answer before I finished reading the question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agatha Christie was brilliant. My list is long, but I got it down to 2. Robert Ludlum, the creator of Jason Bourne and other favorite spy characters was a phenomenal writer and way before his time. When I was a kid, the very first romance author I read, was Barbara Cartland. All the women had heart-shaped faces with big eyes, and the romance was so sweet. Great topic! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would want to meet Rainbow Rowell. My library just added a ton of Agatha Christie audios and I want to make some time for them!! Happy reading this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can anyone really go wrong with Christie? I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsTTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! You are only allowed ONE guess what my answer was as well!!!! I've read this, I know I have.... But can't remember it.

    Hope you will have a great weekend. Oh - and yea to the buddy read of My cousin Rachel! June is fine with me. We'll chat again about it. Will send you a mail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I see Agatha Christie, I think of my grandmother. She loved her books and I would borrow them from her.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am embarrassed that I haven't read Agatha Christie...but I am intrigued at the idea of her books and her characters, and hope to read her someday. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “BEACH BREEZE”

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been binge-watching the Hercule Poirot series, which makes me want to read the books again. Great advice that they don't need to be read in order.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to read more books by Agatha Christie. This one looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agatha Christie is a terrific choice. That lunch date would be wonderful.

    ENJOY your weekend, and Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I haven't read an Agatha Christie book but I've always been interested. I'll have to add Evil Under the Sun on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That would be some conversation you'd have. I haven't read her books in some time. Probably need to pull some back off the shelf.

    My Friday 56 from H.P. Lovecraft's Favorite Weird Tales

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great choice!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd keep reading! I know enough about Poirot to know he's probably be like a fish out of water at the beach! Looks like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an easy question for you! I am not really sure who I would pick. Enjoy this book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every time you mention a Agatha book I am like...man I so need to try one but still haven't...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please don't boo me but ..... I haven't read an Agatha Christie book YET! I know, I know and I've heard nothing but great things. This just made me realize I need to step my game up lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've only read one or two Agatha Christie books - not really one of my fave genres - but I'm sure it would be fascinating to meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it would be neat to meet Agatha Christie too! She sounds like a fascinating person. How fitting that the book you feature is one of her books. :-) It sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Who else would your dream author meet have been? Ha ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Coincidence? I think not. I really should read one of her books one day. I worry they are too old fashioned for me and too many in a series to get into. Good choice though (:

    ReplyDelete
  22. She would be really fascinating to meet for sure.

    ReplyDelete