Monday, November 17, 2014

Tim Cratchit's Christmas Carol - Review


Tim Cratchit's Christmas Carol by Jim Piecuch

Rating: 4 Stars
Source: NetGalley

Description:  Our last look at Tiny Tim was as a little boy on Scrooge's shoulder.  Now years later he is a well respected doctor who has let pressures from the other doctor in his firm and society keep him from doing what he set out to do - to do good.

Genre: Fiction

Why I Picked This Book:  A story told through Tiny Tim's eyes seemed interesting and so very Christmas-y.

My Impression:
Pros: This was a thoroughly Christmas-y story.  Scrooge's part was understated and well done.  I liked Tim but even more I liked the supporting cast - Ginny, Bridget, Henry and the others.  These were characters I really rooted for and wanted to do well.  Watching Tim take a step back from the life he had kind of fallen into and reevaluate where he ended up was nice.  His realization of what was actually going on was also fun to watch.  The end of this book was really fun and Christmas-y and there were several moments that I had happy tears in my eyes.

Cons:  It took a little bit for me to get into this book.  The pacing of the beginning was a little off and I was very conscious of reading the "he said, he did, he thought" instead of falling into the story. However, after a slightly bumpy start this improved. The ending was a bit contrived and tied up neatly but it was so sweet and Christmas-y I was perfectly fine with that!

Overall:  While there were some pacing flaws this was a lovely and sweet story.  It was nice to see Tiny Tim all grown up and to see the aftermath of Scrooge's Christmas Eve lived out by the Cratchit family.  A nice Christmas-y read!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Definitely!

Would I Recommend this Book?:  If you're a fan of the Christmas Carol and looking for a Christmas-y book I think you would enjoy this.

20 comments:

  1. Definitely an interesting idea for a story and a super character to follow up on. I love The Christmas Carol so I would certainly think about reading this one one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was really fun and so Christmas-y! I'd definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  2. Oh my,, the premise of this story is SOO cute! Always a fan of Tiny Tim, glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun! Definitely recommend if for something Christmas-y!

      Delete
  3. This sounds good, I read Jacob T. Marley By R. William Bennett and loved it. So I think this would be cool to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look for that one! I really enjoyed this look through Tiny Tim's eyes.

      Delete
  4. Even with a slow start sounds like a winner for the holiday season...also the Jacob Marley book that Kimba is talking about. I usually watch The Christmas Carol movie, any version of it, each December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely planning on looking for the book Kimba recommended! I'm really looking forward to the Christmas-y movies this years!

      Delete
  5. I do love Christmas stories, so this is a read for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was so Christmas-y I'm ready to start putting up the tree!

      Delete
  6. What a neat idea for a follow up story. I doubt if I'll read it but it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a Christmas-y read! It's a short read if you find yourself looking for something!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad this one mostly worked for you. I was afraid to try it - I love A Christmas Carol so much, I didn't want to risk spoiling it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little worried too but ended up enjoying it. I haven't read the actual Christmas Carol though so I'm not sure what I would've thought in that case

      Delete
  8. Yay for it improving and being able to get into it. That's a pretty neat POV for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really got better pretty quickly. But was a great Christmas story!

      Delete
  9. Aw, who doesn't love Tiny Tim :) So glad it picked up after the choppy start, sounds like a fun, festive read to get you into the Christmas mood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely perfect for getting into Christmas mood!

      Delete