Saturday, November 22, 2014

This Week in Reading - November 23


It's Sunday Post time!  Time to link up with the awesome Kimba over at Caffeinated Book Reviewer to talk about what's going on blogwise and otherwise!

What I Got:

So this week wasn't silent like last week but I turned in more feedback to NetGalley than I got books so I'm calling it a win!
Sherlock Homes: The Missing Years Japan by Vasudev Murthy - Couldn't resist!  I love the Holmes story and am trying to read as many different versions as I can. Plus, I like the cover and it looks like this may be the beginning of a new series. (NetGalley)

Living Well, Spending Less: 12 Secrets of the Good Life by Ruth Soukup - I'm always trying to simplify and since next school year we'll have 2 kids in college the spending less part will certainly be useful!  (NetGalley)

Yes Please by Amy Poehler -  I've been wanting to read this since I first saw it mentioned so I was thrilled when I finally got to the front of the line for the ebook from my library!  (library)

My Perfect Pantry by Geoffrey Zakarian - I love Zakarian and am really excited about trying some of these recipes (Blogging for Books)

Currently:

Reading:  The Big Four by Agatha Christie, Yes Please by Amy Poehler and Cowboys for Christmas by Liz Talley, Kim Law and Terri Osburn.

Listening: I finally finished The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister.  I ended up enjoying it though not quite as much as the first.  I'm still waiting for Food by Jim Gaffigan so until then I'm listening to Secrets of the Grave by Tami Hoag.  This is my first book by her and it took me a little while to get into it because it's obviously part way through a series but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Watching:  According to my DVR I'm not watching very much!  The stupid thing keeps filling up and I don't have time to watch it all!  Emma and I watch Criminal Minds together so I basically have the entire season sitting there because she's home so rarely.  Other than that I've been enjoying some of the Thanksgiving shows Food Network is showing.  As usual I'm loving NCIS and it's franchising.  I'm having mixed feelings about CSI this season.  I really loved the changes they made last season but I'm not liking this Gig Harbor Killer story arc. The nemesis plot device is not one I typically enjoy in crime shows.  Does anyone watch Forever?  I've thought about starting that one as all the episodes are on On Demand.   I'm also excited that Major Crimes is starting again this week.  I really enjoyed this past season of that.

Off the Blog:

We're gearing up for Thanksgiving here.  We actually just go to my mother's on Thanksgiving day but on the Friday after we have J's brother and his wife over and do the traditional massive meal.  It's lots of fun and because it's basically the same meal every year I've got it down to a science so it's not stressful at all.  I am thinking about trying the Brown Sugar Pie recipe that's in Geoffrey Zakarian's latest cookbook.  Anyone ever had one?

I'm trying to get organized for Christmas but can't quite get it to click how close December actually is!  I always have these big ideas of things I want to do but time always gets away from me.  I am having to admit that I'm just not quite as crafty as I want to be and stick to more food related things.

The Tornado went to a party at Build a Bear yesterday.  I had forgotten how much of a racket that place is!  The party included a bear but of course we had to buy an outfit.  Shockingly enough he picked the Darth Vader costume.  The kid is obsessed with Star Wars.  I'm not sure how J got it into his head but it's impressive.

Emma's finishing up her last full semester of high school.  Eleanor just moved out of the dorms and is now sharing a house with some friends she works with.  She's very excited to have her own space.  Paul is working on getting his license so that he doesn't have to take the bus when Emma switches to half days next semester.  I'm still having allergy problems but I think I'm starting to get them under control though all the medicine is starting to make me a little foggy.  Nothing too eventful this week and other than Thanksgiving celebrations I'm hoping next week will be fairly calm as well!

On the Blog:

What Happened:

Monday: Tim Cratchit's Christmas Carol - Review
Wednesday: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie by Rita Mae Brown - Review
Thursday: Maybe This Christmas by Sarah Morgan - Review
Friday: Friday Linkups featuring excperts from Amy Poehler's Yes Please

What's Coming Up

Monday: Even in Death: A Short Story Collection - Review
Tuesday: The Top Ten Books on my Winter TBR
Wednesday: Cowboys for Christmas - Review
Thursday - TBD
Friday - linkups featuring whatever book I'm reading
Saturday - something food related though I'm not sure what.  Maybe a review for Zakarain's cookbook?

Happy Reading!

47 comments:

  1. I am glad you got Sherlock, I was too booked during release week to accept it..but so look forward to your thoughts. There is a new show coming December 7th called The Library. Be sure and look it up..I am super excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been seeing the ads for The Library and am so excited! I really enjoyed the movies they did a few years ago. Plus I feel like TNT owes me for canceling Perception!

      Delete
  2. I've put the Sherlock book on my tbr. It sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it's as good as it looks like it will be!

      Delete
  3. Have a great Thanksgiving! We're hosting it this year so we don't have to travel- which is nice. Looking forward to the big feast, and a nice long weekend. :) I've heard Jim Gaffigan is funny but haven't tried any of his stuff yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Gaffigan either but I've heard good things about this one. We are hosting as well. I much prefer hosting to traveling this time of year!

      Delete
  4. That Sherlock book looks really interesting and I love the idea of the setting in Japan. Definitely going to have a nose at that on NG :) All your Thanksgiving plans sound like fun, enjoy! And I'm giving the sound of that pie a big thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's pretty tasty! I'm looking forward to the Sherlock book. I'm hoping it lives up to its potential.

      Delete
  5. Sherlock Homes looks amazing and I hope your preparations for Thanksgiving would be as awesome as you planned. Have a great week! ♥

    WeeklyWrap@EverythingNyze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've done Thanksgiving so many times it usually goes pretty smoothly!

      Delete
  6. Sherlock looks really good, Katherine! I hope you'll enjoy it.
    I'm with you - I'm so far from being ready for Christmas it's not even funny. Good thing my mom has been here this weekend, she got calendars for the kids...
    Happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had the french Canadian Version. I like the Sherlock story, but I don't like how socially inept he is played these days. I do like in the current tv shows how they have to remove all popular cultural references to him, the cases, AC Doyle, and Watson.
    So no one can say derisively, in a Cockney accent, "Well, you're just a regular Sherlock Holmes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought that we don't hear references to him anymore! In all honesty I prefer the Holmes in Elementary to the one in Sherlock. He can be a little too odd in that one.

      Delete
  8. Have a great Thanksgiving week, Katherine. The Sherlock story draws me - will you review it? Enjoy having the kids around - they grow up and leave home before you know it. We're getting two home for Thanksgiving, so we are looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely review it but I don't think it comes out until March so it will be awhile! I am defied untimely starting to realize how quickly we will be a single child house. It's just weird thinking about it!

      Delete
  9. hmm, not too original here, but that Sherlock is also calling me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just universally interesting looking!

      Delete
  10. My DVR always has more than I can watch on it...I try to watch the shows, and then there are the movies...

    How exciting that Major Crimes is coming back! Love that show, which filled in seamlessly when The Closer went off the air.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really liked Major Crimes. I wasn't sure at the beginning but I've really ended up liking the main character. That DVR kills me! I think it and my NetGalley list are working together!

      Delete
  11. I put myself on the waiting list at my library for Yes Please. I'm hoping to get the audio of that one.

    Like you, I have way too much on my DVR. I watch Forever and I'm enjoying it.

    Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good to know about Forever! I'll definitely check it out! I'm liking the Amy Poehler book so far. Hope you do too!

      Delete
  12. Enjoy your Sherlock book, I love that cover! Funny how just a short while ago we were talking about "beach reads" and now it's holiday time! Enjoy your two Thanksgiving dinners :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always love Thanksgiving! It is crazy how quickly summer flew by. It's hard to believe it's almost December!

      Delete
  13. I was hoping to be organised for Christmas by now but it hasn't happened for me either. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and you enjoy your new books.
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not admitting defeat yet but I'm not nearly as on top of things as I wanted to be!

      Delete
  14. LOve the Sherlock in Japan cover! Very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any week where NetGalley feedback is more than new NetGalley grabs is a win in my book! Can't wait to hear what you think if Yes Please by Amy Poehler - I've been eyeing that one too.

    I have the same problem with the holidays - I mean how is it Thanksgiving already? And Christmas - I'm so not ready, though I am excited to decorate!

    Have a great week and happy Thanksgiving with the family (x2!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'm loving Yes Please! I really enjoyed Tina Fey's and Mindy Kaling's as well.
      Aack!!! So not ready for Christmas!

      Delete
  16. The Sherlock book sounds really good so I'm going to check it out on Netgalley. We also love the NCIS franchise but I stopped watching CSI. It watched for a little bit after Grissom left but then it didn't feel the same without him. My girls have so many Build A Bears that I hate to give them up (we spent so much money on them and the outfits!!). It is a fun store but it can be crazy! I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Build a Bear is a serious money pit! It is fun though. I wasn't sold on CSI after Grissom left but I have really enjoyed the changes they've made in the last few years.

      Delete
  17. I haven't read any Tami Hoag in a long time. I used to read her books during college when I needed a break. lol. I've never had a brown sugar pie, but I'm more than willing to taste test it for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'll let you know about the pie! So far I'm liking the Hoag but but I do feel like they may be better reading than listening. I will definitely be looking for more of hers.

      Delete
  18. The Big Four by Agatha Christie is a book that keeps catching my eye as I've never read any Christie before, so look forward to reading your thoughts on that one.

    Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Big Four isn't one of my favorites but I still enjoy it. It's one of her spy books which so e people love but others don't care for. Agatha is definitely worth reading!

      Delete
  19. That is a win! I love turning in more reviews on Netgalley than books I have waiting. It's like the sweetest feeling.
    I CANNOT WAIT to get my hands on Yes Please. Is it as funny as expected. Bossypants is one of my favourite audio books/biographies. I expected Amy Poehler to be as fantastic. :)
    Happy Thanksgiving week to you. I can't believe it's been well over a month since Thanksgiving past here. :O And Christmas is a month away now. Shopping mus commence ASAP. *cries*
    Build a Bear party? That sounds like heaven for kids! Lol.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love BossyPants! I want to get the audio version because is love to hear Tina read it. So far I'm enjoying Yes Please. Hope you get it soon.

      Delete
  20. That Sherlock Holmes covers looks interesting, I noticed it when I was on netgalley this week.
    I hope you have a great thanksgiving, it's always nice when you can make the holidays less stressful as stress removes some of the fun from those days. That brown suger pie sounds good, let us know if you tried it and how it turned out! We don't celebrate thanksgiving here in the Netherlands, so it's just a normal week for me.

    Christmas sure seems close suddenly, I am happy I got most of the christmas shopping down, we won't be doing much this christmas just paying my boyfriend's parents a visit and having dinner there. My mom and husband plan a lunch in a different day as chirstmas as that worked better, which is fine with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about the brown sugar pie! I have high hopes for it. The great thing about Thanksgiving is we get a little bit of a break before all the Christmas madness !

      Delete
  21. Oh the Sherlock one looks fun and its set in Japan. Perfect for pur Travel the World in Books challenge. Wonder if I can still get it from Netgalley. I did get approved for a Sherlock inspired title last week and now can't think of the title. I can't believe Thanksgiving is already here. We are going non'traditional cause my boys all agreed they would rather have steak. Hope in laws are ok with that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of steak! I think my family would boycott but that sounds amazing! Hope your in-laws take it okay. I'm really excited about the Sherlock book. I hope it lives up to them!

      Delete
  22. The Sherlock book looks interesting; can't wait to see your thoughts! And also on the Living Well, Spending Less book. I could use some tips on that myself!

    Enjoy having family together for Thanksgiving! We don't get 'Robin' home for TG anymore, now that she's in college 3/4 of a continent away. She goes to my parents' house instead, along with her roommate who can't get home either. On the plus side, though, she gets a month off from mid-Dec. to mid-Jan., so we get to see lots of her then!

    Eep, Christmas is scarily close! I'm not going to get all my projects made in time, either. I always have craft eyes bigger than my available time and will-power! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure it's only a matter of time before we don't have all of ours for holidays. How great that she's able to visit with your parents and that you get her home for such a good visit later in the year.
      I'm excited about the Sherlock book and the Living Well book. I haven't read much of it but I really like the author's voice so far.

      Delete
  23. Forever is nice, I like it. Not terribly but some good actors and the stories are decent enough.

    I'm looking forward to The Librarian on TNT but I have my doubts about Kane in the role. Still, it's worth a watch once it's available on NetFlix (no cable).

    Have a great time with your family and happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited about The Librarians! I loved the movies that were made several years ago. I'll have to try Forever. I'm curious about it.

      Delete
  24. These are all new to me! The Sherlock book looks awesome!

    For Thanksgiving we go to my in laws and it's a pretty simple and easy affair. It's nice to chat with other grown ups for once and I think that's what I'm looking forward the most, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about the Sherlock book! It's always lovely to talk to adults! I look forward to the part too!

      Delete