Saturday, November 8, 2014

This Week in Reading - November 9


It's Sunday Post time hosted by the awesome Kimba over at Caffeinated Book Reviewer

What I Got:

A much quieter week here bookwise!  I do have a few more requests outstanding on NetGalley and a few books I'm interested in picking up in the next couple of weeks but this week I was pretty restrained!
I Saw Her Standing There by Marie Force - This is an author I've been wanting to try so I was thrilled when I won this book in a giveaway hosted by Steph at Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust

The Unexpected Consequences of Love by Jill Mansell - This is another author I've been wanting to try and anytime I see her books on NetGalley they're always for the UK only.  I was thrilled when I saw this one and it was for US readers as well.  I was even more thrilled when the approval came through!








Currently:

Reading: Head Over Heels by Jill Shalvis to get ready for the novella about Chloe and Sawyer, Scandalous Secrets of a Summer Night by Anne Barton and If the Shoe Kills by Lynn Cahoon.

Listening: The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister.  I'm not loving this one as much as the first one.  I think part of the problem with character driven novels is that if you don't love the characters it doesn't work quite as well.

Watching: Same basic stuff.  I'm liking the way Stalker is going.  They seem to be ending the Jack being a stalker subplot which I was not loving.  I'm still enjoying the various NCIS franchises and all that.  Food Network has a baking competition starting tonight that I'm really looking forward to.  

Off the Blog:

So today Emma, Paul, the Tornado and I are heading south to go look at her second choice school and a possibility for Paul.  Wish me luck entertaining a 4 year old in a city I'm relatively unfamiliar with!  Luckily it's close enough to family that we can stay there while for a few nights instead of having to crash in a hotel.  I'm looking forward to catching up on everyone's Sunday Posts on Wednesday when we get back.

Eleanor came home for the weekend and it was nice to see her.  This is her first year working in retail around the holidays so we're betting she won't be able to come home much until after Christmas.  

After reading At Home with Madame Chic (review link below) I've been trying to get back to the routines and habits that make the house run smoother.  It's only been a week but so far it's been really nice to feel more organized!


On the Blog:

What Happened:

Saturday - The American Plate - Review - mostly history with a dash of recipes

Coming Up:

Monday - Mission to Murder - Review
Tuesday - Top Ten Tuesday - Characters that Should Have Their Own Book
Wednesday - TBD but a review of some kind most likely
Thursday - TBD but also most likely a review
Friday - Linkups featuring whatever I'm reading by that point
Saturday - Home Cooking by Laurie Colwin - Review

Happy Reading!

46 comments:

  1. I had a quiet book week too, although I guess I did get a few new ones. Looks like you have a few good reads going. The American Plate looks interesting, I like the history angle of it. Have a great weekend, and good luck checking out colleges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The college trips were definitely entertaining! American Plate is definitely an interesting read!

      Delete
  2. Hope yall have a safe trip and a great time visiting with the fam during down time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the college hunting goes well! Nice to have a quiet book week now and again as it helps you feel you are catching up. Enjoy your books :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on being 'restrained', that is a good thing right? I'm at the limit of my book buy budget so it's more of eARCs for me until the year ends, except for those really special books that I can't not buy. lol :) I'm curious about what you think of Anne Barton's book because I almost did not finish reading that one. Anyway, have a great week ahead!

    Here's my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have mixed feelings about the Barton book. I'll be curious to see what you think of it. Restrained is definitely a good thing now and then!

      Delete
  5. I look forward to seeing what you think of Jill Mansel; like you, I've been eying her books for a while. Though I'm not sure I want to add any more new authors for a bit - I can't keep up with the ones I follow regularly!

    Good luck on the college visit, and I hope you can find plenty to keep the Tornado busy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading it. I have the same problem with authors but I'm not good at limiting myself! We ended up having a good time and even the Tornado had enough to do!

      Delete
  6. Enjoy the road trip. Hope all goes well and that you also find some time to read.

    My Sunday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/11/weekly-book-recap-88.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a good time though I didn't get nearly as much reading time as I would've liked!

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the college road trip and have a nice visit with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, I'm going to have to track down that Jill Mansell, and see if they will approve me! Good luck with the college trip, my youngest is a junior this year, so we start all that next summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The college thing is fun though a little terrifying! Good luck with the Mansell!

      Delete
  9. Will you have three kiddos in college next year? Oh my goodness!! Have fun at the college visits and enjoy the time with the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 2 next year but 3 the year after that! I'm trying not to think about it.

      Delete
  10. Hey! I didn't put two and two together and realize this was you! Did the book come?
    My post is at: http://fangswandsandfairydust.com/2014/11/cinderella-sunday.html
    I have a big book and groovy stuff package from the publisher for I SAW HER STANDING THERE that I am giving away still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got here on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to reading it!

      Delete
  11. Good luck with your college visit, Katherine. I remember doing those with our kids. Luckily, not with a four year old though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We did have a good time though the 4 year old made it a little more challenging!

      Delete
  12. The Marie Force book looks tempting...and I have yet to try Jill Mansell...someday.

    I am glad that they are moving beyond Jack as a stalker, too; I really have not liked his ex and her threats. She is beyond harsh.

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely glad to see the end of the Jack Stalker subplot. I'm curious about the new story about Beth. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it.

      Delete
  13. I struggle with books when I can't connect to the characters as well. Do you think the fact that you are listening rather than reading has anything to do with it? I was mildly successful with staying off of NetGalley this week...until about Friday when I ended up requesting more than I should. Ugh! I hope that you have a great week filled with good books! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to go on NetGalley sprees as well. Always fun but I end up with way too many books!
      I had listened to the first book which is very similar and really liked it. I think the change of focus and some characters who I don't like is causing the problem.

      Delete
  14. I love Marie Force but I haven't read that series yet. I hope you enjoy it! We love Stalker too!! I love Maggie Q and Dylan McDermott! I'm also glad they changed his story. I have read some of my ARCs from Netgalley so it's a slow process getting the pile down. I hope you enjoy your new books and have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm working on getting my pile down a bit as well! I'm really loving Stalker and am hoping they stick with this new direction.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for stopping by my blog last week. It is so difficult to restrain oneself over at NetGalley, isn't it? However, I have to balance the review books with those I simply want to read for myself. I hope everyone enjoys the visits to schools this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had a good time! It's hard to find that balance between review books and just books I want to read. So far I'm really awful at it!

      Delete
  16. Jill Shalvis is one of my favorites and I really want to start reading her Lucky Harbor series. I have some of Marie Force's books on my TBR. Eventually I want to start reading them.

    I love Stalker! That turned out to be a really good show and I, also, watch all the NCIS shows. Those are good too.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Lucky Harbor series! Marie Force is new to me though I've been wanting to try her books for awhile.
      I agree about Stalker! I wasn't sure at first but I'm really enjoying it.

      Delete
  17. Have a good trip with the kids! I'm watching Stalker also, among other new shows, and thought it was dumb that a guy who works in an Anti-Stalking Unit would be stalking his ex, despite the child not knowing who he is, he is borderline creepy here.
    I like the cover for the new Marie Force book--a romance with people who don't look 18 years old, yay. I looked up her goodreads page and gosh, she is a busy writer who I need to check out pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything by her either but I'm looking forward to reading this one.
      The subplot on Stalket was really bothering me. I'm hoping they're going to let it go.

      Delete
  18. I saw a different book by Marie Force but didn't grab it. I'm rethinking that. I watched the first Stalker, but lost interest. Have fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything by Marie Force but I'm really looking forward to trying this one.

      Delete
  19. Oh I might have to check out that book on how to make a house run smoother. I need that at the moment, my house would love me for it. LOL
    Have a good week.
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a nice reminder to do the things I know really help but that I push off for far too many reasons.

      Delete
  20. You were restrained! Very nice. :)

    I remember visiting colleges; it was actually kind of fun. Good luck and have fun visiting with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need a few quiet weeks! The college visiting was fun though I am glad to be home!

      Delete
  21. If the Shoe Kills sounds almost exactly like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like that series! I've found it to be a pretty fun cozy series!

      Delete
  22. I'm really wishing you all the luck babe. Haha!

    Here's mine:
    WeeklyWrap@EverythingNyze

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am looking forward to diving into a couple holiday romances soon. I think one you recommended. :-)

    I hope your trip goes well! I remember well when my brother, mother and I were looking at colleges for me. I ended up picking a school I had only put on my list to visit because it was on the way. I fell in love with the campus at first sight and it became my first choice pick at that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! I'm feeling very holiday romance-y right now. That's awesome how you made your choice!

      Delete