Saturday, November 22, 2014

Weekend Cooking: Thanksgiving

I'm linking up with Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking where anything food related goes.  Since somehow it decided to be almost the end of November I've realized it's time for me to start working on my Thanksgiving menu.

I like to cook and I love to experiment and try new things but on Thanksgiving my sister-in-law and I are under strict orders from my husband and his brother to not "ruin Thanksgiving".  There's a lot of teasing about this and we threaten to pull out a hamburger bean pie recipe that traumatized them both during their childhood or to have a Russian food themed dinner or something like that but for the most part we stick with tried and true.  I've been pulling my recipes together to make sure I have all the needed ingredients.  We end up doing dinner with them on Friday so worst case if something gets forgotten stores are open but nothing causes frazzle worse than forgetting something mandatory and not realizing it until right when you need whatever ingredient.

So I thought I'd share my favorite Apple Pie recipe and a few of my go tos.  This apple pie actually came from some diabetic cookbook 20+ years ago when my grandfather was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  Although his parents had both dealt with the condition we had all kind of assumed that fact that he was fit and healthy would make it skip him.  It didn't but it did help him deal with the condition.  He eats great and is still active at almost 91.  Recipes that are naturally low sugar like this apple pie really help!

4 cups apples, sliced and peeled
1/2 cup apple juice, frozen concentrate
1 1/2 tps corn starch
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinammon or apple pie spice

1. Mix apples, apple juice concentrate, corn starch and spice and stir until apples are well coated.  Add lemon juice, if desired, to keep apples lighter.  (I skip the lemon juice step)

2. Pour into a pastry lined pie pan and top with second crust or pastry strips.  Seal the edges and cut slits in the top crust to allow steam toescape

3. Bake at 425 for 40 to 45 minutes (watch it like a hawk after 35 though)

Now for a crust I use this All Butter Crust from Four and Twenty Blackbirds and it's amazing.  This was the first pie crust I ever made for an actual pie and it always comes out exactly how a pie crust should be.  I cut about 1/3 off the ball of dough after it finishes cooling, roll the 1/3 out, cut it into strips and than use that to make the lattice on top of the pie.  Top with some lightly sweetened whipped cream and it's seriously good! 

Also on the set in stone menu is mashed potatoes.  For most of my life I've been pretty take it or leave it with mashed potatoes.  They're okay but not amazing.  When I started hosting Thanksgiving I began to hate mashed potatoes.  It takes time to mash up the stupid potatoes and if you don't get them smooth they're awful.  I spent many a Thanksgiving cussing at a pot of potatoes.  And then The Pioneer Woman came to the rescue with her Delicious Creamy Mashed Potatoes.  You can make them ahead of time and pop them in the oven about 20 minutes before time to eat.  What's even better is if you don't get all the lumps out the baking does it for you!  These things are magic.  Even the Tornado eats them!  I did discover (kind of by accident) that you really only need 1 stick of butter for 5lbs of potatoes and the cream is also unnecessary though you can thin it with a little skim milk if you must and you can use 1/3 less fat cream cheese so they're practically healthy!  

All this thinking abut food got me in the mood to do some reading about food.  I enjoyed the Laurie Colwin book of foodie essays I read last week and Kathleen Flinn, Molly Wizenberg and Ruth Reichl are some of my favorite authors.  Looking through my NetGalley list I stumbled upon a book entitled Writing in the Kitchen edited by David A. Davis and Tara Powell and thought what could bet better than a book full of bookish and foodie essays?  This book is fascinating.  Everything about food and the South are explored - from farming and soil experiments in the 1700s to Scarlett O'Hara's famous radish.  There are essays about slavery and the difference with how the different classes ate.  There is discussion about where the recipes came from.  Seriously, if it involves food it's mentioned here.  

That being said, when I reach for a food related book I'm basically reaching for the book version of comfort food.  I want homey and warm and maybe even a little quirky.  I want to smell the herbs and feel the textures of the bread and hear the crisp sound of the knife hitting the cutting board.  I found this book to be a bit dryer.  While the information was fascinating it read a bit more like a textbook than I was expecting.  This isn't a book I want to curl up with on a rainy day but if the college near me starts teaching a class with this as part of the curriculum I'll be first in line to sign up!

So what do you expect out of your foodie books?  And for the American readers what foods do you expect to see on the table for Thanksgiving?  

19 comments:

  1. I am fascinated by the foods traditionally prepared for Thanksgiving. No Thanksgiving in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love seeing how other countries celebrate. I do wonder how unique out Thanksgiving traditions are!

      Delete
  2. My husband mashes the potatoes and I too put them in a casserole dish for baking -- it's one of his family dishes that they call Dutch filling. Other than that, we're pretty traditional. Our pie is pumpkin!

    That book of essays looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking the mashed potatoes is definitely the way to go! I normally buy a pumpkin pie because only a couple of us like it. I do enjoy the occasional alive - especially with whipped cream!

      Delete
  3. Good tip for mashed potatoes! Thanks and cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is definitely my favorite mashed potatoes method!

      Delete
  4. My favorite Thanksgiving dish to make and eat is dressing, with lots of butter and sage. The crispy bits around the edge of the pan are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I do love dressing especially with lots of butter and sage!

      Delete
  5. Yum,apple pie is always a favorite. I make the traditional dishes for Thanksgiving, including homemade stuffing. For pie we do apple, pumpkin, lemon meringue and pecan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't had lemon meringue! I haven't had it in ages but it's always a favorite. Your dessert table sounds delicious!

      Delete
  6. We do the traditional ones too- mmm turkey but my favorite part might be the dressing as well .With gravy on it. :) Looking forward to it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am too! I look forward to this meal all year!

      Delete
  7. Yay. Thanks for the apple pie recipe, maybe I can try it. How many days in advance do you make it? We are going non traditional this year and having hubby's favorite steak. We warned his parents and they are still bringing ham and sweet potato casserole. And I will make some other dishes too. Thanks for stopping by and hope you come back and linkup 3 posts like this with my Small Victories Sunday linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum! We never do apple pie for Thanksgiving but I do love it. We do pecan and pumpkin. Other things we always have German cucumber salad, glazed bitter sweet onions and mashed potatoes with lots of butter. Then a green bean casserole that's not the typical. It's tomato, green beans, onion and green pepper in a brown sugar/Worcestershire/mustard sauce. It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. German potato salad is a favorite here but I've never thought about it for Thanksgiving! I love pecan pie but the rest of my family doesn't so I don't have it very often but it's one of my favorites!

      Delete
  9. I love apple pie it's so delicious. We don't have Thanksgiving here in Australia but hearing about all this yummy food everyone is cooking makes me want to go and cook even if it is too hot to feel like cooking.
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how odd all our food talk is to those that aren't in the US! It's definitely a holiday that's all about food!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the low-sugar apple pie recipe - I'll have to try that! We go the strictly traditional route in our family for Thanksgiving, including pumpkin pie, but I love fresh apple pie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite apple pie recipes! I like that it's naturally low sugar.

      Delete