Friday, May 28, 2021

Friday Fives - Five Agatha Christie Books You Can Skip


I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.  It's no secret that I love Agatha Christie but the woman wrote over 100 books counting her nonfiction and romances under her Mary Westmacott pseudonym so not all of them are going to be winners.  Here are 5 I would NOT recommend.


1.  Partners in Crime (1929) - This is a short story collection featuring Tommy and Tuppence who are by far her weakest detectives.  This one may have been absolutely delightful when it came out as in each story the two try to solve crimes in the style of a different famous detective.  The problem is the majority of the detectives listed have faded into obscurity making this one a bit tedious.


2.  Postern of Fate (1974) - Another Tommy and Tuppence and one of Christie's very last books.  This one is disjointed at best and incredibly confusing at worst.  The timeline is impossible to pin down and activities that fill pages are completely meaningless which is unusual for Christie.


3.  Curtain (1975) - This was actually written in the 1940s and is actually very good with a very unique mystery.  My issue with it is that it is the last Poirot story and it was not the end I wanted for him.  I found it all a bit sad.


4.  Passenger to Frankfurt (1970) - This is one of her standalones and honestly I just don't have much to say about it.  Christie is no stranger to international intrigue but where it was a fun adventure when she was writing it in the 1920s this one is just kind of boring.


5.  Murder on the Links (1923) - This one is fine but I feel like she's still finding her footing (it's her 3rd book, 2nd Poirot) and figuring out the partnership between Poirot and Hastings.  I don't dislike this one but it's definitely not memorable and one that you could easily miss.

Have you read any of these?  Do you agree they can be skipped?


12 comments:

  1. I had no idea she wrote Romances under a pseudonym. 😯

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a post. Anyone who writes over a hundred books is bound to have a few that can be skipped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on each of these. None are favorites of mine at all. In fact, I think that Postern of Fate was the first Christie book I read way, way back when I was a teenager. I didn't love it and may not have even finished it. Think that my next Christie might have been the first Miss Marple and that was much better. I do not love Curtain, but interestingly enough, I do love the last Miss Marple, Sleeping Murder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had much luck with A.C. but, I haven't given up yet. Thanks for your honest opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure I have read all of these but it's been awhile. I definitely prefer Miss Marple to Poirot.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaah loved this! And the only one I've read is Murder on the Links. Can't even remember what it was about, so I guess yes - skip it!

    I have Curtain in more than one format, but still need to read it. One day. When I'm ready to let Poirot go ...

    Hope you will have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know! I've only read one so far. I can't remember it for the life of me... something about a library? I wasn't a huge fan :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. She was such a prolific writer. I don't remember if I have read any of these. Probably not. Thank you for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of these. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read these so wouldn't know but I do know I would be very happy to be guided by your view.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Murder on the Links is the only one in this list I have read and I liked it...lol.

    ReplyDelete