Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Ten Books I'm Getting for My 9 Year Old This Summer


My 9 year old isn't much of a reader.  There isn't really a reason.  There is no issue with his ability it's more a combination of he's made up his mind that he can't read a true chapter book and is convinced he doesn't like reading.  As well, he hasn't found THAT book.  You know the book or the book series that catches you and makes you want to sneak off and read just a few more pages.  He does love audio books and listens to one every night so I know he enjoys stories so I'm hoping that if I throw enough books his way one of them will finally hook him.  Here are a few I'm going to pick up.

1.  Clues in the Attic by Cari Meister - I figure this graphic novel will be a good way to ease into reading for pleasure.  It's a mystery, it's a graphic novel, and honestly it looks really fun!

2.  Disaster Strikes: The Most Dangerous Space Missions of All Time by Jeffrey Kluger - We're very into space and this is a series of stories about the most dangerous missions which sounds like compelling reading even for a reluctant reader.

3.  Missy Piggle Wiggle and the Won't Walk the Dog Cure by Ann M. Martin - When he was little we read a Mrs. Piggle Wiggle book and he thought it was lots of fun so I'm hoping this newer iteration catches his attention.

4.  Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis - We watched the movie (which is very good) a few weeks ago because he loved reading the first two books in school so I'm hoping he'll enjoy the book as much as those books and the movie.

5.  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling - He's suddenly started talking about Harry Potter all the time and I'm hoping to hook him with the first book.


6.  Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas by Jonathan W Stokes - I know nothing about this one but it's an adventure story with a bit of mystery and sounds like lots of fun.

7.  The Apothecary by Maile Meloy - This is another one I don't know much about but it's a mystery with a bit of magic and a spy so how can it be bad?

8.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl - I think he'll enjoy Dahl's incredibly visual writing style and this is short read that is lots of fun.

9.  Restart by Gordon Korman - The librarian hyped this one up before book fair last year and he absolutely had to have it.  I think now is the time he should read it!

10. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming - This is a fun action packed story with Fleming's streamlined writing and a very entertaining car with a mind of its own.

What books would you put on the stack for a hard headed 9 year old?

12 comments:

  1. It's great he loves audiobooks. Great choices, hopefully one will be that book for him. I think Harry Potter would win most reluctant readers over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter has discovered audiobooks and loves them! I have to find new series for her to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clues in the Attic looks fun, and graphic novels are sometimes a great way to reach reluctant readers! Voyage of the Dawn Treader- I was entranced with that one as a kid, and the magical cover had a lot to do with it! Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was another favorite. :) Hope he finds just the right book soon!

    Oh and Chitty chitty Bang Bang- another fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of those is sure to hook him! My 9 yr. old grandson called me the other day and wants me to buy him Cruise Ship Stories: 12 Years of Working on Cruise Ships, Behind the Crew Only Door, Getting Jobs on Ships, Life On Board by Guy Beach. He's been obsessed with cruise ships since he went on his first cruise last year, and he knows just about everything about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope it goes well, the fact he loves an audiobook is great. I love the idea of a graphic novel, they are popular among readers and there are so many good ones these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 10 yo isn't a huge reader, but she does LOVE graphic novels. She devoured a bunch of them throughout third grade and then in fourth grade she found a chapter book series (no illustrations) that she loves. They're the only books she'll read, so yeah, I think it's about finding the RIGHT book for the right leader. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all sound fantastic. Our favorite book at the moment is Pinky Got Out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My 9 year old is not much into reading; at least not at home for fun like I did when I was a kid. But I know he likes the Dog Man books (graphic novels?) and yesterday, when he was looking for stuff to sell at school, he came upon some I Survived books that I picked up for him in the #littlefreelibrary and said "I Won't sell these I love them!" I was thinking then why don't you read them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harry Potter! When I read the first three Harry Potter books with Baz, I would read a chapter to him and then he would read a chapter to me every night. I think that eases them into reading chapter books on their own. I hope he loves them. ⚡

    Again, I recommend the Pure Dead Magic Books by Debi Gilori and the Cody books by Tricia Springstubb. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
  10. My brother wasn't much of a reader until he got older and got into biographys of his favorite athletes and bowling magazines.

    ReplyDelete