Tuesday, May 7, 2019

My Favorite Books at the Moment

This month is all about my favorite things and so today I'm making a list of my favorite books.  Now this isn't my all time favorites but more of my favorites at the moment.

1.  Dead Wake by Erik Larson - This is one of those books that I couldn't stop talking about.  I was telling everyone who would listen about bits and pieces of information that I had learned from this.  I'd always been afraid to listen to a more serious nonfiction book on audio but this kept me so fascinated I never once lost focus.

2.  Murder on Trinity Place by Victoria Thompson - I love Victoria Thompson though I'm late getting to her historical mystery series.  I read this one in one day which hasn't happened in ages.  Great characters and great mysteries!

3.  Dark Witch by Nora Roberts - I have been all about Nora Roberts this year - especially her romantic suspense.  To be honest I didn't love this one when I first read it soon after it came out but I've listened to the rest of the trilogy in quick succession and have ended up really enjoying it.

4.  Death Waits in the Dark by Julia Buckley - This was another fun cozy with a deep dive into the past and a cast full of characters I really liked spending time with.  I didn't love the 2nd book but the third mystery definitely redeemed it and made it where I want to read the 1st book and will definitely be looking for the 4th!

5.  Flowers in the Rain by Rosamunde Pilcher - I love Pilcher's short stories despite their tendency towards a little over sweetness and when I reread it a few months ago I fell in love with them all over again!

6.  The Last Lie by Alex Lake - I literally had no idea how this thriller was going to work out and I was thoroughly hooked for every page!

7.  Botched 4 Murder by J.C. Eaton - I love this quirky series with a host of senior citizens and a PI firm.  The mysteries are always fun and I love the characters.  This one was a lot of fun but really the series never disappoints.

8.  Cloaked in Malice by Annette Blair - Was this the most believable mystery?  Not even close.  But it was thoroughly entertaining with lots of vintage clothes and a Cary Grant like ghost so I was willing to overlook the unbelievability.

9.  The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie - It's been too long since I read an Agatha Christie mystery but this reread reminded me of just why I love her books so much.

10. Mrs. Jeffries Delivers the Goods by Emily Brightwell - I've known of this series for years but for whatever reason never read any of the books until the end of the last year.  Now I've read two and thoroughly enjoyed both of them and will definitely be looking for more. 

What are some of your favorite books right now?

10 comments:

  1. The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie sounds great and really anything by this author is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all new to me!! Have to check them out for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these, although several are on my TBR list. I especially need to get to DEAD WAKE. It sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably read Dark Witch; I think I stayed up all night to read that one. I liked the second as well. By the third that couple's storyline was too redundant for me. After this trilogy, I stopped reading her trilogies. The Black Witch Chronicles by Laurie Forest are my favorite books right now. I have to pick up the last of The Bone Witch series, one I've liked also and will probably buy the Kindle versions. I finished the third, Tea Shop Mysteries book and am bummed that my library doesn't have the next one but others down the line. I'm debating on whether or not to start buying those. I love the tea content and am fond of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of these are a little dark except for the Rosamunde Pilcher one. I do have some of her short stories and think I have read that one. I want to do a reread of one of her longer books. I wish so many new inviting books were not there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when a thriller keeps me guessing all the way to the end! And Christie has some of the best titles... that one- the Labors of Hercules- just evokes such a classical european type vibe, I don't know how to describe it, but her titles are often just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought Dark Witch in a charity shop a few weeks ago, and I'm really looking forward to reading it. And I need to make time to read another AC book soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read enough over thelast few weeks to get any new favourites and I'm focusing on the books I have that got mixed reviews to up the chance of more DNFs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to try a Nora Roberts book! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to get my hands on The Last Lie by Alex Lake!

    ReplyDelete