Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday - Places Mentioned in Books That I'd Like to Visit

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl is Places Mentioned in Books That I'd Like to Visit.  I do a lot of vicarious traveling through my reading and there are several places that have been firmly placed on my To Visit list thanks to books. 


1.  Cornwall (inspired by The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher) - I know Lawrence Stern's gallery doesn't really exist but I want to see the cliffs and the pathways and the steep stairs so lovingly described by Pilcher.

2.  Prince Edward Island (inspired by Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery) - Anne's love of the Island shines so brightly throughout the whole series that it's impossible not to want to visit it. 

3.  Salem, Massachusetts (inspired by the Witch City Mysteries series by Carol J. Perry) - Salem, MA is one of those places that I always think of in historical context so this mystery which takes place in modern day Salem around people just living their everyday lives (with a pretty decent helping of murder) makes me want to add it to my To Visit list.

4.  Charleston, SC (inspired by the Liz Talbot Mystery series by Susan M. Boyer and The Teashop Mysteries by Laura Childs) in both of these mystery series the city of Charleston is a character unto itself.  I have visited it before but it's been far too long and I want to go back!

5.  New Orleans, LA (inspired by Phantom Evil by Heather Graham) - I have family near New Orleans and have been multiple times but it's been awhile and this book made me remember just why I loved the city so much with all it's legends and characters.


6.  Ireland (basically any Nora Roberts book set in Ireland) Ireland would be on my To Visit list anyone but Roberts has really sold me on it.  I'm assuming it's full of gorgeous people with stunning voices and an easy smile.  Granted my family is Irish and none of can sing and we are not what one would call relaxed as a whole but I'm assuming that's because of the couple of generations spend in the States. 

7.  Devon, England (inspired by Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie) - There's beaches and islands and caves and coves.  And murder but I'm going to assume that's not a regular thing.

8.  Fort Meyers, FL (inspired by Caught Read-Handed by Terry Farley Moran) - So I really just want the cafe/bookstore to exist because I want to eat at one of the author themed table and order off the book themed menu.  I've been to the area often enough and it's fine and the beaches are great but I really want to cafe.

9.  Boonsboro, Maryland (inspired by the InnBoonsboro series by Nora Roberts) - I just reread the trilogy by Nora Roberts and discovered that InnBoonsboro really does exist.  Staying in one of the rooms is now high up on my list.

10.  84 Charing Cross Road in London (inspired by 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff) - I know the bookstore isn't there anymore but apparently there is a restaurant and a plaque so I still feel like it'd be worth a visit.

Where do you want to visit because of a book?

11 comments:

  1. I regret not doing more travelling when I was younger. I'd have loved to see Canada and New Zealand but now I'm not keen on the whole airport hassle and long flights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ft. Myers is nice, and I agree with you- I want to go to that cafe too! Also Devon sounds pretty great- there are so many parts of England I want to visit thanks to books! Cornwall is another, and Prince Edward Isle looks beautiful from what I've seen (and the Canadian Maritimes in general look like fabulous vacation spots).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cornwall also tops my list. For me add Shetland (Anne Cleeves series), Yorkshire (The Yorkshire Shepherdess and James Herriot), Dublin (Tana French books) and London (Galbraith).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avonlea was on my list this week. That whole island would be fun to explore, though.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to visit all those places too, although some from different books. And I have been to Ireland - yes you should want to go. Cornwall I'd love to see from a few books and of course Prince Edward Island. Scotland is another country that books entice me to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many nooks and crannies around this world that I want to see after reading a book set there. Definite PEI and several sites in Britain. I got to see Salem once and its a lovely New England town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ireland is always so beautiful in pictures. I remember playing Dark Age of Camelot and running around Cornwall, so I might want to go there too. Although I love seeing new places anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun post! I've been to Salem, Ft. Meyers and Ireland. Would love to see England (Cornwall, of course) and Charleston.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been to 3, 4, 5 and 8. I am loving this list and would gladly go with you to see the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to visit Prince Edward Island. 👍✨

    Salem is wonderful. I have only been there during summer vacations and I want to go during Halloween week sometime. 🙌🙌🙌

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was young we used to go on these three-week vacations and visit historic places. Because we were in Massachusetts, and because were going right by it anyway, we drove through Salem. And by drove through, I mean almost literally drove through. I think we stopped and went into one building but we couldn't afford for all of us to take a tour so we just visited the gift shop. My parents were giving us great adventures and we saw and did so many wonderful things on those trips but I think I would rather have just skipped Salem than be that close and not get to really experience it!

    ReplyDelete