Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Ten Books That Have Been On My TBR For Far Too Long


Last week's Top Ten Tuesday was all about the most recent additions to my TBR.  Then I had one of those bookish organization projects that starts out small and simple and ends up spiraling into mission level status so I'm familiar with all the books that have been on my shelves gathering dust for far too long.  Here's just a few I discovered.  These are all books I was so excited to pick up and meant to read right away but then never did.


1.  To The Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey - I loved loved loved The Snow Child by this author and knew as soon as it came out that I needed this one.  So I got it.   And it's a gorgeous book.  That's been sitting on my shelf ever since.

2.  Assault and Pepper by Leslie Budewitz - I love spices and cooking and the few times I've been in an actual spice shop I was a very happy person.  So obviously I had to buy this first book in a cozy series set in a spice shop.  And I did.  And I still haven't read it.

3.  The Invisible Library by Geneive Cogman - I got this in some kind of mystery box soon after it came out and I was super excited.  Pretty sure this series is on book #712 or something to that effect and I still haven't read this one.

4.  The Readaholics and the Poirot Puzzle by Laura DiSilverio - I loved a later book in this series that centered around du Maurier's Rebecca.  The mystery was so good and I loved how the author wove elements and discussions about the book into the story.  So now of course I need to read the mystery where the Readaholics are focusing on one of my favorite authors/characters.

5.  Murder at the Brightwell by Ashley Weaver - This is another series that's probably on book #920 now and I've yet to read this one.  I love historical mysteries and this sounds amazing.



6.  Murder in Thrall by Anne Cleeland - To be honest I probably picked this one up because I saw Anne Cle... and thought it was Anne Cleeves who is another author I've been seriously meaning to read.  However, the cover is so eye catching and it sounds like a great British procedural and I need to read it.

7.  Once A Duchess by Elizabeth Boyce - I remember really wanting to read this one.  And that is all I remember about it.  I don't think I've ever even really heard of this author or where I heard about the book but I remember being super excited when I found it.  I should probably read it and try to remember why I was so excited about it.

8.  Fade to Black by Wendy Corsi Staub - Back when Avon had a podcast (what was it called?  They interviewed all kinds of different authors and it was really great) they had Wendy Corsi Staub on around the time this book was coming out and she was talking about it and I knew I had to read it.

9.  A Killing in Antiques by Mary Moody - I go this years ago in a mass cozy buying spree.  I dont' really know why I bought it when I bought it but I've fallen in love with antiques since then so this seems like one I'd really love now.  Yay me from several years ago!

10.  Pleating for Mercy by Melissa Bourbon -  This was bought in the same book buying binge as the one above.  I know nothing about it but I think at the time I was really loving a cozy series by Annette Blair that was set in a vintage clothing shop so I'm guessing that's what attracted me to this one.

What are some books that have been on your TBR far too long?

13 comments:

  1. From your list, I've read TO THE BRIGHT EDGE OF THE WORLD. It was very good. I'm familiar with many of the authors you listed and have a met a couple of them. Not read their books yet though - well, I think I've read a couple of Wendy Corsi Staub's books (haven't met her though).

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we all well know, there are so many books and so little time, lol. Here's a link to my latest post: https://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2019/02/great-escapes-blog-tour-review-and.html?showComment=1549379785558#c6053138571466319218

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and me both, Katherine, lol! I have two kindles, my son has one and my husband one. I store various books virtually all over my house! My paperwhite must be getting past prime because if I keep too many titles on it, it loads rather slowly.

    I do have a DiSilverio book club paperback I picked up at a thrift shop. Too lazy to go check and see which one it is.
    I liked The Snow Angel!
    I read the spice shop books #1 and #2 a couple of years ago and reviewed them on other blog. I liked the setting of the fish market in Seattle, I remember.
    I used to auto-buy Wendy Corsi Staub and buddy read with my elder daughter many years ago. Haven't kept up with her newer installments though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have way too many on my tbr-unfinished urban fantasy series, mountain expedition non fiction, new exciting horror, tons of apocalypse and zombie series, non fiction about the royals and politics,tudor fiction...argh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very happy to look at your TBR way too long and know that none of them are actually sitting on my TBR which is way too long as it is. Hope you get to some of these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a long list of these myself. Way too many ... We share a couple, I see. :-) I hope you do get to The Invisible Library soon-ish. I love the series and hope you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Murder at the Brightwell was a lot of fun- I highly recommend it- but I haven't read the sequels yet (other than a very short novella she put out a year or two ago, set on Capri but it was pretty fluffy and non- essential). And I almost got that Budewicz book after liking a previous one by her.

    The Invisible Library on the other hand I liked okay but I've had zero motivation for some reason to continue on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a couple of the cozies in my TBR for the longest time too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you have quite a few gems on your shelves. The only one that I have read is The Invisible Library which I loved. The series only has 5 books so you can still catch up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had the Invisible Library on my Kindle forever. How many sequels are there? Ha ha. I'll have to check. 😛

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you read these, I hope you love them! I have a spreadsheet to keep books from sitting around for too long. If my spreadsheet says I’ve owned a book for over a year, I force myself to read it or donate it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those all look good, especially the Eowyn Ivey book! None of them are on my TBR, and the only one I've read is The Invisible Library. (Book 2 is on my Kindle, though.) I've got my own TBR bookcase of shame, though. Well, two bookcases, a shelf, and several piles on the floor. I really, really need to go through and A) prune the ones I probably won't get around to and B) read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not tried any of these but man do I understand the long tbr pile and books lost on it along the way. lol

    ReplyDelete