Saturday, March 25, 2017

52 Pins in 52 Weeks - March Edition

I absolutely love Pinterest! My current pin count is just under 10,500 and I have dozens of boards. I alternate between pinning from the tons of food and craft blogs (I have a different system for book blogs!) and pinning after mindlessly scrolling through the "Everything" option where I can see all the pins that have been pinned and repinned recently.
 In 2015 I realized that while I relied on Pinterest for all kinds of things a lot of my boards were being seriously neglected and even in the boards I did use regularly there were still plenty of pins collecting dust. And that's where 52 Pins in 52 Weeks came from. At the first of the year I make a board called 52 Pins in 52 Weeks and fill it with 52 pins that I want to do over the course of the year. I've tried to include a good mix of food, holiday, and craft pins and push myself to step a little out of my comfort zone. I pin my results on my 52 Pins in 52 Weeks Results board. Some pins are wins and some are most definitely fails but it's always interesting to attempt them! 
 This year I hope you'll share your Pin Wins and Fails with me and link up below! The format is totally up to you. Just post about the pins you've tried over the month (it can be multiple posts) and link up here! The link up will the the last Saturday of every month and I can't wait to see what everyone is doing!


This was a fairly quiet month and I didn't get as many pins as I expect to complete finished.  The primary hold up is that we were out of town for 8 days which when I scheduled it didn't seem like that big of a deal but it turns out it is a schedule killer!  Especially since it seems to take me a solid week to prep and another week to recover!  April will be a super sized edition!

Week 10:

The Pin:  Lucky Rice Krispie Treats from Mandy's Recipe Box

The Basic Idea: A basic homemade Rice Krispie treat with the addition of a little bit of Lucky Charms including the marshmallows.

My Results:  Well first off homemade Rice Krispie treats are just ridiculously good and these were no exception.  I was surprised to find that the Lucky Charms did change the texture a little.  There are 4 cups Rice Krispies to 1 cup Lucky Charms so for the most part it takes like a standard treat but then I'd come up on an extra little crunchy bit or a marshmallow and it was a tasty addition.  The Lucky Charms marshmallows weren't as visible as I wanted them to be so I did take a few extra and press them into the top.  Next time I'd pull out about 1/4 cup or just a little less to have ready to do that.  I'll definitely make these again around St. Patrick's Day next year though they won't replace the standard Rice Krispie treat recipe.

Week 11:

The Pin:  Copy Cat Shamrock Shake from Number 2 Pencil

The Basic Idea:  A minty creamy milkshake similar to McDonald's Shamrock Shake.

My Results:  I'm going to be honest and admit that I have never actually had a Shamrock Shake so I can't be sure how close of a copy cat this recipe is.  However, I do like a good milkshake and this sounded fun for St. Patrick's Day.  We were split on this one.  The Tornado and I liked it but J (who isn't super fond of mint) said it was annoyingly minty - Just enough to be there but not enough to be refreshing.  I thought the mint was subtle and went well with the creamy vanilla flavor.   I did leave out the 3 tablespoons of sugar because I figured it would be sweet enough.  I'll definitely make this again next year though the recipe makes enough for 4 good sized milkshakes so I'll probably half it.

Week 12:

The Pin: off my To Buy board - Sonia Kashuk Sheer Berry - (original source has been deleted)

The Basic Idea:  Buying a sheer berry colored lipstick

My Results: So this is a little different since I didn't actually do anything than pick this up on my last Target run so I'll just give you my opinion!  I have kind of a love/hate relationship with lipstick.  My lips are on the pale side so lipstick is a must but I hate sticky gloss and super matte lipsticks really dry my lips out.  On the other had most of the sheers I've tried have so little staying power they're pointless. I was really pleased with this one.  It's definitely got a little punch of color without being dramatic and while it won't last through a meal it lasts several hours.  The texture is similar to Chapstick.  Actually I found the Sheer Berry color to be very similar to Cherry Chapstick just on steroids color wise.  For less than $10 I can see this ending up on my Must Buy list.

Next month I'll be doing lots of Easter baking and learning to fall asleep in less than a minute.  Come join me for the April linkup on April 29th!

I'm linking up with Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth Fish Reads

10 comments:

  1. Oh the Rice Krispie treat and the Shamrock Shake both sound really good. I admit I have never had the actual shamrock shake either!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try a shake lately but don't know about the McDonald's one!
    I know you are an Agatha fan and wanted to tell you one of her books is on sale for Kindle at Amazon. $1.99 for Crooked House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lipstick never sticks on me - so I put it on once a day and then forget about it. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've checked out your pinterest stuff and love it! There was one recipe I pinned that everyone else loved too. This is really a great idea! I probably could use improvement over at my Pinterest, so any suggestions for improvement would be super appreciated. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had a Shamrock shape either but I am sure that I would like it. I don't make Rice Krispie treats anymore since my family had to go gluten free but I do make them with Coco Pebbles. Now I am wondering what I could add to them to mix it up. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like a regular semigloss lipstick. I love rice crispy treats, but I have never wandered from the original. I did find a Nutella version that I might try. It would be a good idea for a 52 Pins post. I have never had a Shamrock Shake either. Ha ha. Here is my 52 Pins link: http://lalatoadstone.blogspot.com/2017/03/52-pins-in-52-weeks-march-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list of pins again. OMG I haven't had rice krispie treats in a long time. Now, of course, I have a craving. I like a good milk shake in the summer, I'm going to give the mint one a try then. I love mint!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you on the lipstick subject, and plan on giving that sheer berry a try.
    Hopefully our Target will have it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have me craving Rice Krispie treats right now! Both those and the mint shake sound delicious. I use the Sonia Kashuk lip liners and really like them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah that much time away from home can really throw things off. I always need a really long nap afterwards. lol Yay for the rice crispy treats! Yum!

    ReplyDelete