Friday, December 18, 2015

Friday Linkups: The Language of Bees















It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice.

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question:
Which format do you use?  Blogger, Wordpress, or an independent format?  Any reason for your choice?

My Answer:
I use Blogger for no other reason that I have a gmail account and it was easy to set up.  I do like all the plugins that you can get for Wordpress but for right now I'm okay with Blogger.


This week's book is from one of my very favorite series that I'm several books behind in.  I started Laurie R. King's series about Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes 10+ years ago and have always enjoyed each new entry.  The Language of Bees came out in 2009 and I'm curious to see if there's a connection to the first book in the series which also had bees in the title (The Beekeeper's Apprentice).

The Beginning: 
As homecomings go, it was not auspicious.
The train was late.
Portsmouth sweltered under a fitful breeze
Sherlock Holmes paced up and down, smoking one cigarette after another, his already bleak mood growing darker by the minute.

My Thoughts:
It doesn't sound like they're having a good day.  In fact it sounds like they're having one of those days where everything takes longer than it should and is far more challenging than it should be.

The 56:
"...and life began to settle into a pleasant pace..."
"Until?" Holmes prompted.
"until the latter half of June." Damian ran fingers through his long hair, revealing a glimpse of scars, and went through the process of lighting another cigarette.

My Thoughts:
I have no idea what's going on here but it doesn't sound like whatever happened in the latter half of June was positive.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the scars Damian has.

So what do you think?  Keep reading?

16 comments:

  1. You know, I'm not sure if I would keep reading or not. At this point the book doesn't grab me but may be different if I checked it out.

    I use both Blogger and Wordpress. I would love to incorporate the two blogs into one but I can't decide which platform to keep. I love them both for very different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a sucker for a good series. I might have to check this one since you said it was one of your favorites. I use Blogger for the same reasons you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherlock is just one of those characters that everyone loves to portray in all types of series and TV shows, etc. I am one of those who will read and watch them all as well...lol. I haven't heard of this series so I must go check out the first one. :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious now, so I'll be watching for your review. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “SECRET SISTERS”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to be in the mood to read Sherlock and even then at times I stop half way through. Not sure it is for me. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a great series. I really enjoy each book. This week I am spotlighting The Secrets of the Heart by Kasey Michaels which had gotten lost on my TBR mountain. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use blogger too. It's so dang easy and really near everything I've seen done with WP you can do with Blogger with just a little tweaking :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wondering about those scars too! I've loved the Sherlock Holmes series on PBS, and this sounds like a book I'd enjoy.
    My Friday post features THE LOCKET.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use Wordpress and feel old and outdated because I couldn't figure out how to comment on blogger sites for the longest time... Google found this ancient account I had set up, never used, and is not supposed to be associated with anything I update now, and forced me to use it... but oh well... that's the internet age, now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Blogger the best too. :)

    The Language of Bees looks beautiful. I hope you enjoy it.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well it's Sherlock so I would have to at least try it, and this point I am unsure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I wonder about his scars too.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/12/18/the-friday-56-89-murder-and-other-unnatural-disasters/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sherlock Holmes? My hubby would love this story then. He's a big fan!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to try this series. I have the first book waiting for me. I enjoyed the intro you shared for The Language of Bees. I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've really been wanting to try this series! :)


    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings), my Top Ten Tuesday, and my current giveaway.

    ReplyDelete