Thursday, December 17, 2015

Beyond the Books: Christmas Decorations

This week I'm linking up with KissinBlueKaren for Beyond the Books.  This is a meme where we all answer a non-bookish question.  It's always so fun to see everyone's answers and get a peak at the blogger beyond the books.  This week's topic is - Christmas decorations.

I love Christmas decorations!  We got ours up the first weekend in December and I've thoroughly been enjoying having all the pretties out!

My favorite of all my decorations is probably my nutcracker collection.  It's kind of outgrown the top of the bookshelves so this is probably it's last year in this location.  




At the top is one of my favorites - Nutcracker Scrooge complete with a gold coin and a wood stove. This is on Christmas Eve so he's still the un-Christmas-y spirit.
Middle left is Santa Nutcracker in PJs with cookies and milk.  He's one of my new ones this year.
Middle right is another new decoration this year (if you have a Costco membership you probably recognize it!).  I love miniatures and loved this little wintery scene with deer and snow.  Plus it lights up just a little which is pretty at night.
Finally on the bottom is the dreaded Elf on the Shelf.  My Elf is very very lazy.  He gets into no trouble and causes no mischief.  He's never once made a mess.  Instead he periodically moves to a new location in the living room and if he's being really wild he visits the kitchen.  The Tornado thinks it's hilarious.  

So that's a few of my decorations.  We have a village that we haven't gotten down yet but will hopefully put out tomorrow.  What are your favorite Christmas decorations?

22 comments:

  1. Ha our elf also gets into no trouble an causes no mischief. He just goes between the family room and kitchen and that is enough to make my kids happy. I am thankful for that!!! I love the way our village looks but it is such a pain to put out and was our last thing to get together. Love all the nutcrackers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is the same way. He likes the elf and will periodically talk to it which is really cute but that's about it. I'm certainly not making a mess that I have to clean up. That happens enough as it is!

      Delete
  2. I have a nutcracker collection, too!! We started it when the girls were young... they all danced in a local production every year over Thanksgiving weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my nutcracker collection and the ones connected with the ballet are some of my favorites.

      Delete
  3. I thought I had a nutcracker collection (6 or 7), but I think I was wrong! Love them all together like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 or 7 is still a collection! I love them all together but my daughter complains that they freak her out (she's 18). I've threatened to leave them all to her and haunt her if she doesn't put them out!

      Delete
  4. Oh the domed scene is so pretty! I love those. They always look so magical and elegant as a display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love little scenes and there was no way I could pass that up!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE your Nutcracker collection! We have a small one my mum passed on. I had to tell my girls it was for decoration and not to break open nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! That's too funny. I had a similar talk with the Tornado!

      Delete
  6. I love Christmas decorations too. :-) I'm hoping to post photos of our Christmas decorating contest at work sometime before Christmas. We'll see. :-) I love your nutcracker collection! I have a snowman one that I just love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun about the work contest! I always loved those. I don't have a snowman nutcracker! I think I need one.

      Delete
  7. I am telling you the stork left you at the wrong house! Not only do you read the same books as my mother and sister... my mother collects nutcrackers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious! Your mom and sister sound like they have excellent reading and collecting taste! I don't read or decorate like my mother at all either.

      Delete
  8. Wow, you have a nutcraker collection to rival that of Michelle's from Because Reading. :) I don't decorate, but I did by one little nutcracker to put in some of my instagram photos...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go all out because of the Tornado but to be honest I'm not sure what we will do when he grows up. We will probably still decorate but will mostly scale back.

      Delete
  9. I love all your nutcrackers and it makes me want to start collecting. I was just in Pier 1 store today and they had some really cute ones. I wish they had Elf on the Shelf when my girls were younger. It looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Elf is pretty fun. Sometimes he will tell the elf something he wants or something someone else wants and it's crazy cute. I love Pier 1's nutcrackers!

      Delete
  10. Oh Katherine I love your Nutcracker collection. hehe..I see they are up high and I know why. I had three tornados! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! I love your collection. And I think when I have kids, the Elf on the Shelf is definitely going to be a tradition. It's just so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't get to decorate this year. Since I plan to be away most of December and the first week of January, there didn't seem much point... although now that Mr. Bookwyrm had to cut 2 weeks of his vacation to go back to work, I'm wishing I had done more. I missed putting out our decorations. At least my mom's house is beautifully decorated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your nutcracker collection!

    ReplyDelete