Monday, November 10, 2014

Mission to Murder - Review

Mission to Murder by Lynn Cahoon

Rating: 3.5 Stars
Source: NetGalley

Description:  In this second entry to Cahoon's Tourist Trap mystery series, coffee shop and bookstore owner Jill Gardner is trying to get the stone wall on her property certified as part of the historic mission that had once been in the area.  She was expecting red tape and headaches but she wasn't expecting to get blocked by a man who doesn't want to split the tourism budget.  She most certainly wasn't expecting him to turn up murdered a few afters she threatened him to leave her alone "or else".  Once again Jill is a murder suspect and she and her detective boyfriend must clear her name and find out what really happened.

Genre: Mystery

Why I Picked This Book: I really enjoyed the first book in the series and was looking forward to seeing what happened next!

My Impression:
Pros: I enjoyed this second book.  The communication issue that had driven me crazy in the first book is cleared up and for the most part Greg and Jill communicate fairly well.  The mystery itself is well paced and I never felt like it was dragging or that I was bored with it.  On the other end, I never felt like it was moving so fast that it left out plot points or rushed through a motive.  I was glad to see Jill in more of a bookstore owner role and enjoyed the talks about running the bookstores.  Jill's Aunt Jackie is still around and still as bossy as ever but it felt like it worked better.  I could see their affection for each other and while Jackie is opinionated and feels she knows more about the business than Jill it feels like Jill's kind of made peace with that and works around her without getting too annoyed.  I found Toby's character entertaining.  I liked the side plot where Jill and Jackie find out about where all the extra business is coming from and that Toby isn't portrayed as a heartless jerk but a nice intelligent guy who is quite a bit of a flirt.  I liked that there were 2 aspects of the mystery - the murder itself and the documentation about the wall. This made it where Jackie and Jill could investigate the wall without stepping on the official toes too much.

Cons:  This suffered from a lot of common Cozy flaws.  Jill is super nosy.  She shows up places she shouldn't and asks questions that she really shouldn't.  Also, most of the cast is far too sensitive.  People get their feelings hurt or into arguments over little comments.  Luckily, no one holds a grudge for too long.  I would've liked to have seen more of Jill and Jackie investigating the mission claims especially since they talk so much about investigating.

Overall: While there were some flaws I really enjoyed this Cozy read.  The mystery was interesting, the side plot was fun and I liked seeing Jill and the other residents of South Cove.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes, definitely!  I already have the third in the series and am looking forward to starting it soon!

Would I Recommend this Book?: I think any cozy mystery reader would enjoy this series.

18 comments:

  1. I don't read cozy mysteries nearly enough these days. I have a stack I need to get to too! Glad to see even with some quibbles it was a fun read :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so many great cozies out there. I periodically forget about then but I'm always glad to get back to the genre.

      Delete
  2. I love when bookstores are incorporated into a book. I'm sure all book lovers feel the same, but it just makes me smile. I love seeing the day to day of the store. Makes me sigh a little.
    Sounds like a fun mystery series. Glad you're liking it.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! I'll read pretty much anything if it's set in a bookstore!

      Delete
  3. Nice to know what you think are drawbacks to cozies, since that is essentially what I write. A nice gift in your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! Cozies are probably my preferred genre.

      Delete
  4. I agree about the common problems with cozy mysteries, but this one sounds pretty good. Good review, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe I've read anything from this author. THAT won't last for long, I tell ya. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a fun read. One of the cons you mention, about characters being too sensitive annoys me too sometimes, especially when it carries on for long. It's good to know the characters don't hold grudges long in this one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sensitivity thing does get annoying and seems to cross most genres. It's not too bad in this one.

      Delete
  7. Lol, it just sounds funny what you wrote for the cons, because it is so true! Isn't that the case with (almost) all cozies :) Nosy people, argumentative people, talky-talky people, average people playing cops...still, I read the first one and enjoyed it, so I would read this one.`

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy this one as well Rita. The cozy problems do seen to be universal! I always prefer when the MC has a job where they're supposed to ask questions like a PI or reporter or something

      Delete
  8. I've never read a cozy mystery but I would like to give them a go! Love the bookshop background is this one. I'm not sure how I'd feel about the nosy characters, I would hate them in real life but maybe not in a book. After all I love Miss Marple and you don't get nosier than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Miss Marple! Have you tried Patricia Wentworth? You might like her Maud Silver books.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad it incorporated more of the bookstore into the story. I do hope that Jill won't be a suspect in every story. That gets old fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree! A few times is ok but after awhile we are going to need a new plot!

      Delete