Monday, November 24, 2014

Even in Death - Review


Even in Death: A Short Story Collection by Kristy Feltenberger Gillespie

Rating:  3.5 Stars
Source:  Kindly provided by the author for review

Description:  Even in Death, a collection of ten short stories, explores the thin line between love and hate; extreme emotions that even death cannot destroy.

Genre: Fiction

Why I Picked This Book: I thought the concept looked interesting and I was curious to see how it was executed.

My Impression:

Pro:  I wasn't quite sure what to expect with 10 short stories about death.  I figured they'd lean towards horror or maybe supernatural.  But instead the stories are more about the people involved.  There is actual death in each story but there is also death of something else and that seems to be as strong and as poignant as the primary..  In "A Flower Story" we see the death not only of one of the characters but of a chance for something more.  In "Kayanna Pepper" the death is not only of a friend but of a passion as well.  The title story, Even in Death, really made me think and I've found myself mulling over which item would really represent me.  Probably my favorite story is "What Caught My Senses" which reads almost like a traditional mystery.  I really enjoyed each story and was always curious to see what would happen next each time I picked up the book.

Con:  While I was frequently intrigued and always interested in the stories I didn't really have an emotional connection to the characters.  I find this to be more a problem with short stories in general than a problem with this book.

Overall: This was an interesting and unusual collection of short stories.  While death featured prominently in all ten stories I found them more about human nature than death itself.  If you're looking for a quick read that's not too light and makes you think than this would be a great choice.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?:  I have her full length novel Jaded and am looking forward to reading it in the next few weeks!

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Definitely!  This was a unique and interesting set of stories.

6 comments:

  1. This looks like a great short story collection will be adding to my TBR pile, thanks for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really intriguing. Like how it seems to play on death and love.
    I agree that short stories/novella's are really hard to connect with. I enjoy them as they're so quick and easy to fly through.
    Maybe this is a book to add to next years fall TBR. Great review!
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! This was a good read and very intriguing. Worth taking a look at!

      Delete
  3. Not my usual cup of tea but it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't mine either but I ended up really enjoying it.

      Delete