Friday, November 7, 2014

Friday Linkups: Neil Patrick Harris Choose Your Own Autobiography














It's Friday!  Time to link up with Coffee Addicted Writer for the Book Blogger Hop, Book Beginnings on Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice.

This week's Question:
Should Book Blogger do more to support bookshops rather than just give links to Amazon or Barnes and; Noble as a place to buy the printed version of books they read?

My Answer:
To be honest, I'm not really sure how I could.  I guess I could put a tagline that says *Support your local bookstore?  I kind of think that as readers we know if we have a local bookstore in our community and if we love it we'll support it over the allure of saving a dollar here or there at Amazon.  If you're looking for book reviews I think for the most part your decision of where you're getting the  book is already made and me putting an Amazon link in or not isn't going to change that.  If you have a local bookstore go buy your books there!  Otherwise you'll be like me and not have one at all!




This week's book is Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris.  When I saw this on Blogging for Books a few weeks ago I couldn't press request fast enough.  I love Neil Patrick Harris - I loved how he played Barney on How I Met Your Mother making him as much of a scumbag as possible but still being able to put a dash of good guy in there periodically.  Every interview I've seen of him he just seems like a nice guy.  Plus he was a judge on Iron Chef America which is just awesome!

From the Beginning:
"You, Neil Patrick Harris, are born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on June 15, 1973, at what you're pretty sure is St. Joseph's Hospital, although it's hard to be certain as the whole experience leaves you a little blurry."

From page 56 which is actually written by producer Steven Bochco -
"Doogie was, and will always remain, one of my favorite shows.  It was sweet, it was funny, it was on occasion melancholy, but it was always true to itself.  It was always about something.  It never, as they say, jumped the shark.  And as you go on to enjoy the full measure of success you've earned as an actor, a host, a musical performer, and - ultimately, I am sure - a director, I hope you remain as fond of Doogie and the values his character promulgated as I am."

33 comments:

  1. Now, I can pretty much take him or leave him but I like the humor and smarts in those quotes. Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a fun book. I'd be interested to see what a non-Harris fan would think of it.

      Delete
  2. Great blog hop answer.

    I don't have a local bookstore either. If I did, I would link to them.

    ENJOY your reading weekend.

    Love the cover of your book beginnings choice.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. I am making my way through the book blogger hop question list so I am leaving my link to that post below. :)

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do want to read this one....I saw him on a talk show recently and I was making note of this book by the end.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE AFTER WIFE”

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an interesting autobiography! I had no idea Patrick even had one about him! Thanks for sharing and happy Friday! :)

    Here's my book beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, it sounds like a very fun book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this opening and the book's title. Sounds fascinating!
    My Friday post features DEAR SUGAR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a sampler of this at BEA, and now can't wait to read it! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Check out my Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the feel of the Friday 56, it's almost as if you are literally having a cup of warm tea listening to the narrator share the story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like talking with a friend! I really enjoyed this one.

      Delete
  9. I'm all for supporting independent book shops. I don't personally put a link to any book store on my reviews. Only Goodreads. I think it's the readers decision where and how they buy their books.
    Unfortunately in my area there is no independent book stores. In Canada we have one book store chain; Indigo/Chapters. So when I go into a book store it is a Chapters. But they're Canadian, so I'm all supporting them. Not to say I don't shop Amazon and other online stores as well.
    NPH is a great guy and actor. I'm sure that book is pure fun.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do link to amazon but I definitely agree that readers are going to but books where they want.
      I really enjoyed this one!

      Delete
  10. I really want to read this one, I bet it's legen-wait for it-dary! :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah I don't see how you could do for a local store rather than linking to the online retailers. We have a bookstore here still but the book aspect of it seems to get smaller and smaller each year as they add toys and food and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much what happened here. He finally closed up shop a few years ago.

      Delete
  12. Love the start of that book and even the title. Hope you're enjoy it. Have a great weekend.
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's so much buzz around this title. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's always nice to hear when a child actor grows up and doesn't get caught up in the negativity surrounding Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a big I love Neil Patrick Harris fan too. :-) I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the book when you finish.

    I don't really link bookstores anymore. I used to. It's an extra step I've grown too lazy to do. I do link the author's website generally, and so readers can always go there to see where a book is available. I've always figured readers will go where they want to go regardless of where I link to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of think the same thing about readers going where they want. I like the idea of linking to the author's site. I'll have to start doing that!

      Delete
  16. I'm going to have to check out the NPH book, it sounds like it'll be fun :)

    ReplyDelete