Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sinfully Yours - Review


Sinfully Yours by Cara Elliott

Rating: 2 Stars

Description:  Beautiful and perfectly behaved Anna Sloane isn't quite what she seems.  The Marquess of Davenport has a reputation for earning his "Devil" nickname but things might not be quite as they seem there as well.  When a house party causes both Anna and Devil to find themselves stuck in Scotland in horrible weather secrets come out and their mutual attraction becomes harder to fight.

Genre: Romance

My Impression:  This is the second of the Hellions of Highstreet series.  My review for the first one can be found here.  Once again Elliott has manged to completely confuse me.  Once again I spend the first 60% of the book not being impressed only to find myself flying through the last 40%.  The first half of the book was boring.  I had loved Anna and Lord Davenport in the first book and was excited to read their story.  Instead I found myself trudging through a book full of characters that speak in ways no person has ever spoken and spirited sensible Anna seemed to spend most of her time feeling lightheaded and confused.  Secrets and house parties have been done so much better and far more engrossing (see basically any Julia Quinn book).  Then things get moving.  True purposes are revealed, they start telling each other the truth and all of a sudden Anna is back to her likable self and the mystery really becomes interesting instead of something that is just vaguely thought about.  Endings are clearly Elliott's strong suit and I just wish this book was a little more consistent because it could have been a really fun read.  If this was the first book I had read I would've given it 3 stars but because this is the 2nd and the pattern of mediocre first half followed by good 2nd half I'm going to have to give it only 2.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?:  I have the 3rd already and since it is clearly going on during the last half of this book I'm very curious to see where it goes.  I will keep my eye on Elliott to see if she becomes a little more consistent but for now I won't be searching her out anytime soon.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  No

No comments:

Post a Comment