Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Tyrant's Daughter - Review


The Tyrant's Daughter by J.C. Carleson

Rating:  5 Stars

Description:  When her father is killed in a coup led by her uncle 15 year old Laila finds herself living in a small apartment outside of Washington D.C. with her mother and younger brother.  A far cry from their life as the royal family Laila and her family, especially her mother, struggle to adapt and survive.

Genre: YA/Fiction

My Impression:  This book was not at all what I expected from the cover and the summary.  I was expecting a thriller - kind of Tom Clancy but for young adults and instead I got the story of a family's survival told through the eyes of 15 year old former princess Laila.  Laila is completely out of her element as she tries to fit into an American public school.  She honestly tries to fit in and assimilate with mixed results with how she interacts with her classmates both male and female.  She also comes across uncensored internet and begins to learn about how the world really viewed her father and some of the things that happened during her father's regime that she had always been sheltered from.  While there is some international policy the bulk of the book focuses on Laila as she figures out her way through relationships with boys, having a friend for the first time and dealing with her mother who seems to be disintegrating daily.  She doesn't always act perfectly and sometimes she is completely and totally lost but through it all she comes across as a very real very confused 15 year old.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book and don't think I've ever come across anything like it.  I'm so glad I Netgalley provided me with this book.  Left on my own there's no way I would've picked it up and would've ended up missing something great.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes definitely

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Absolutely!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds worth checking out! Glad when books surprise you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice change. I had a spell last month where just about every book disappointed me. This way is much better!

      Delete